The Planted Tank Forum banner

Beamswork success stories. (Beamswork club)?

174K views 497 replies 107 participants last post by  jayo 
#1 ·
As some may have seen I've recommended these lights for people "on a budget" though that is a bit unfair.

Some of my reasoning was 1) success stories 2) ease of repairs 3) high output for low dollar input 4) modifiable w/ low financial risk.

Granted they are static lighting w/ few "bells and whistles' out of the box but that is only one of the factors..

Sooo let see some new success stories w/ this lighting. Lights don't have to cost a second mortgage to be useable..not unlike T5's..

The stories, mods, measurements are scattered all through PT so lets collect a few..

Post your praises or damning.. to be fair. We have Finnex, and Current and ect...anyone ready to stand up for the little guy?

#2 ·
I actually was inspired by you and a few others to modify my 30" Beamswork 55W fixture by adding a few RGB strips. It was extremely simple, and I have mimicked an Ecoxotic E-Series with a more powerful light, same effects, for less $$.

Cost of materials:
Beamswork 30" .5Wx110 LEDs = ~$45
RGB light strip (up to 5 meters for any size light) = ~$20
"Sunsetter" Remote and timer (can use ecoxotic timer as well), or a separate programmable RGB controller = $30-$55
12v 10a power supply =~$20
RGB connectors = ~$5
Amazon.com: ZITRADES 10Pcs LED Strip Light 5050 RGB strip Connector for Conductor 10 to 12 mm Strip to Strip Jumper led strip connector: Home Improvement

4 pin connector = $1
Amazon.com - 20pcs 4 Pin Connectors Male for Led Strip Lights RGB 5050 3528 Insert Easy Use - Electronics Cable Connectors

You end up with the same features as the E-Series, in a more powerful light. I know because I'm selling my E-Series in the classifieds.

I have extensively tested LEDs for years over my reef, and I was one of the first to bring attention to Evergrow (Reefbreeders) LEDs outside of China. Pics to come later.

Oh, and it grows everything I put into it like crazy, including high light plants that I didn't know were high light plants (i'm new to planted tanks). This is without CO2 added.

#5 ·
This is my modified 30" Beamworks. It was to bright for my needs. I ended up dimming it a bit and added 4 strips of RGBs for sunset, sunrise and moon effects. I also added 2 strips of cool white LEDs.

See more here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=627826&highlight=

Aquarium decor Aquatic plant Freshwater aquarium Pet supply Fish supply

Edit: I forgot to mention this light was great just as it came.. I bought this model because the price was low and I had plans to DIY something. This light made the DIY build very easy and cheaper than actually trying to piece together all the pieces for a "from scratch DIY build. I will certainly buy another.

#9 · (Edited)
I love the Beamswork led lights. I currently have 2 36" 3w diode models over my 50gallon and just started a 29 gallon with 2 30" 3w diode models. I've only used LEDs and have had no trouble growing anything in my 50gallon including HC. I like the LEDs because they don't generate the heat that floresent bulbs do. For example I have a x-mas moss tree ( now a giant pad of Christmas moss lol) that is barley under water and inches away from my Beamswork lights and it flourishes. It would have burned under bulbs. I don't have any pics right now but I have nothing but good things to say about Beamswork lights. I have only owned the 3w models and would recommend them to anyone. I have owned two of them and ran them on a 10hr lights on period for one strait year with no cooling fans and have never had a problem. I don't have par ratings but the 2 36" 3w models I have on my 50gallon are freaking bright and have caused the tank to grow like a jungle I actually had to pull my ludwigia out because it would grow out of the tank and all over in a week. There have also been myths that LEDs won't grow red plants but my ludwigia was very red. I call the tank the jungle because everything has grown out of control (pressurized co2 and liquid ferts might have something to do with it too :).

#10 ·
I like my little light fine. I don't believe they had a plant specific spectrum when I bought mine so that's my only issue with it. Well, that and it's plastic so it doesn't sit quite flat, but I do think the glossy black plastic is attractive. Here is a picture of a 6 gallon tank I had, not at it's prime but a good example of what it could grow in a non CO2 nano. I have since changed the tank out for a similar 10 gallon which fits the light even better, and still seems to grow things fine, it will just take some time to look good, it is only about 2 weeks old. Anyway, here is the old 6 gallon. I also plan to add RGB strips to mine, I have them, just haven't had time to deal with it.

#11 ·
Recently ordered Beamworks 36" 66 x 0.5w LED 6500K fixture for 29-gallon tank - recommended by jeffkrol as a budget-friendly option...( Haven't received it yet, still on the way)...Hoping to get MEDIUM lighting out of it

I might get some Red and Blue (or the ones with Red:Blue 5:1) LED strips down the road to add to the fixture.

Will update you guys with the progress later...

#14 ·
#36 ·
Ive been using a Beamswork double bright hi lumen something or another for almost 3 months now on my High Tech 20 long with zero issues. its been fantastic so far!

20 Long day 70 update - YouTube

Here is my unboxing video of the one I got

30" BeamsWork Pent LED fixture unboxing - YouTube
Thanks for sharing Sean. First actual evidence that this fixture can grow high light plants. I might get one for my terrarium. :) The hell with the more expensive ones...they cost too much. Might have to try one of these out.

#18 ·
I just put two RGB strips on mine today. I bought this awhile ago and never found a use:

Sylvania Mosaic Flexible LED Light Kit - Led Household Light Bulbs - Amazon.com

Now, that is too expensive and you get way more LED strips/connectors than you would likely need, depending on the size of the light. However, you can find basically the same thing for 1/4 of the price. Nice because it comes with a remote, power supply, connectors, and RGB strips. Works just like my Current Sat +, though I can use a 2nd timer for the RGB if I want, but no effects (don't care). I can add more LED's than the fixture has but I found 2 strips is more than enough adjustment.

#20 ·
Beamworks LED lights.

Hi everyone,
New to this forum, not to the hobby!!

i have had 1 planted Discus tank running for 5+ years. I have got it down to little maintenance (Partly due to idea water conditions from the tap in South Australia, i just put Ager CN in get it to 26 degrees and pour it in) about 6 Months ago i switch from Sylvania Grow-lux tubes to 10000k Daylight T8 tubes and i am More than impressed with the growth from my plants and incredibly low algae growth (can go months with out scrubbing, no algaecides!!!
This brings me to the reason why i am here... one of my best mates recently passed away(32 years old), leaving behind a legacy of fish tanks, i have taken possession of his 3' Planted aquarium with Apistogramma Double reds in it (he was trying to get them to breed) The tank came with a Beamworks LED fitting, What is people EXPERIENCE with these LED lights? and what about plant growth under LED light? I am thinking of switching to Fluro's on this tank as i KNOW i can get good healthy lush growth with minimal additives.
Top Picture - Apistogramma Double Red species specific (Beamworks LED)
Bottom picture - Discus x 3, Sailfin, Red tail, Bristle nose, betta & a cat keeping warm (single 36w 10000k T8 Fluro)

Attachments

#21 ·
Here's my 10 gallon tank with a 17" Beamwork Tri 1 Watt 6500k fixture:

Since then, the Crypts have grown out of control...to the top of the tank, so I had to turn the tank around and now they're the background plants. I don't have any recent pics, but its crazy thick, even though I've taken bunches out to sell and put in other tanks.

And here's an old-ish pic of my 55 gal with a 48" Pent 0.5 Watt 6500k fixture:

That sword started in a 10 gallon, moved to a 30, then split in two and moved to the 55 before sending out a runner with 7 new plants. I've since sold the mother plant and kept the babies...it grows like crazy under that light.

I've been so happy with my experience with Beamswork lights that I got an 18" 10,000k fixture for a second 10 gallon I recently started and 36" Snakeyes fixture for a 58 gallon that I'll be setting up...I still have to build a sump for that tank. No pics of these lights yet...

#24 ·
I wrote to a supplier in Canada asking if he sells the pent 0,5W version. The guy said he sticks with the older 0,2W version because the leds have less chance to fail on those ones.

Those who have the 3W version : I am wondering for how long do you own them?

Michel.

#25 ·
#26 ·
I wrote up an article a while back that mostly just compares my change from a single .2w BM fixture to dual .5w fixtures over my 40 breeder. I haven't really followed it up and currently my plants look weak because they are struggling through me taking away my DIY CO2 setup. However, I am super happy with these lights and as a returning planted noob in the last year or so I was able to grow any plant I dropped in the tank.

I dropped CO2 because it was mass of 2 liter bottles...which worked very successfully BTW...but I am currently refurbing a 125g acrylic tank and won't have pressurized on that. I will move all plants from my 40 hence the reason I am putting them through the shock of C02 removal now.

I plan to go "low tech" on the 125 and will start off with trying to reuse the 2 36" BW fixtures, I also have a 30" of the same .5w model I can add in (was used on a 20L). If I end up buying something more powerful I will definitely go with BW again. The price is just right and I can grow plants just as well with them. I don't need a light show in my tank, really the only feature I do like is the ability to have them come on in "low light mode" with only one strip of lights coming on since it is completely dark when my lights come on, and I just flick them over to full when I get up.

Definitely a proponent of BeamsWork products.

Here is my little write up: http://warrenreptiles.com/beamswork-led-planted-aquarium-lighting/

#28 ·
#30 · (Edited)
#34 ·
I have been looking at the Beamswork Pent 48" for my 55gal, the one thats 7400 lumen with 144x 6500K LEDs. Would this light overpower my DIY co2 and force me to go with pressurized co2? I cannot find the PAR ratings on it and my plants range from from a few low to medium/med high.
unless it is dirt cheap, a deeper penetrating light is recommended.. like this:
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-Beamswork-Freshwater-Plant-p/56427p.htm

Only PAR comparison I know of.. The 1W looks to be a bit low here.. but it is mounted higher than most..
3w's are arguably better here.
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquarium-Lighting-EVO-Freshwater-Plant-p/56547p.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.