The Planted Tank Forum banner

E-Series Club: Showcase your E-Series Tank! Links to journals & more!

79K views 463 replies 88 participants last post by  AlanLe 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to the E-Series Club!!!

Do you own the Ecoxotic E-Series or like to learn more about one? This is the place for you!

***DISCLAIMER***
This is strictly a 'fan club,' I don't work for Ecoxotic (or Current) and this club is not in any way affiliated with Ecoxotic/Current-USA.***

Since this community and all those who stumbled upon the Sat+ Club in their search for more information and inspiration seemed to benefit from our shared knowledge and experience, me and FlyingHellFish thought it would be great to start this club as well. Let's get together and show what this new and exciting LED fixture can do!!!

Join the Club!

In this club we encourage:

• Shared experience with the Ecoxotic E-Series w/ tons of pictures (& YouTube video if you made one)!
  • Tip & Tricks for the novice to advance users
  • Links to journals utilizing this fixture
  • Open discussion with everything else pertaining to the Ecoxotic E-Series
  • Be respectful. Always.

So please, don't be shy. Post your pictures, link to your journals, ask questions, and more importantly... LET'S HAVE SOME FUN!

***FOR THE LATEST & GREATEST NEWS, CHECK OUT ECOXOTIC'S BLOG***
http://www.ecoxotic.com/community/blog

Other Links of interest for the E-Series:

Reviews & Blogs:

Journals featuring an E-Series (in alpha order by user):
-- Just start posting on this thread with your FTS pics and links to your journal. Or, please PM me if I missed any journals or if you'd like me to add yours here [emoji14]roud:

Rock the banner! Or link to this club!
COMPLETELY OPTIONAL:
- This doesn't do anything for you like win you something or get you a discount, well maybe it does something... makes you look cool!!! :flick::tongue::flick:

Simply copy & paste the HTML into your signature editor.

Large banner:

HTML:
 [URL="http://tinyurl.com/e-series-pimps"][IMG]http://tinyurl.com/z7h8cof[/IMG][/URL]
Small banner:

HTML:
 [URL="http://tinyurl.com/e-series-pimpsb"][IMG]http://tinyurl.com/hdf7e7s[/IMG][/URL]
**Don't like the banner I designed? You can just link text in your signature then, I promise my feelings won't get hurt :flick:
Copy & Paste Away:
HTML:
[URL="http://tinyurl.com/e-series-pimps"]E-Series Club[/URL]
If it is done successfully, it should appear like this ----> E-Series Club

**Also --- PM me any suggestions to add anything here that I may have overlooked! Thank you!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Following. I can't decide if I want to go LED yet, every year makes the last seem not so great in comparison but this light has caught my eye (obviously if you follow my posts). Just want to see what people do with it, it may be a purchase I make soon, I may hold out to see what others do but this light is a huge step in the right direction for planted tanks and LED's, as far as I can tell, budget included.

#5 ·
waiting for mine to come in. have over a dozen finnex and almost as many sat+ but find both lacking, finnex requires mixing monster ray with ray2 or fugeray for color rendition and plant growth, while sat+ has the right color with adjustments but lacks par. i use them on my low tech tanks and they work fine but not living up to they hype IME. also have the BML dutch and it works but not what i expected for the price. to be honest i am still in the T5HO camp for my main planted tanks for their par output (tek or ati sunpower) and ability to change color with bulb changes. i still believe led is the future but mfg still need to fine tune the spectrums for our applications. yes you can DIY but i have no illusions about my DIY skills, and need a polished finished product. this LED looks promising as its basically a more powerful sat+.

#8 ·
Wow.. sounds like you have some good experience to make some meaningful comparisons. I've owned a lot of LEDs too. Finnex Ray 2, Fluval Aqualife & Plant LED, and Sat+ -- not BML, however. TBH, I'm pretty stoked with this E-Series so far. It's not perfect, but what is nowadays? I think you may be able to find fault in some capacity if that's what you're looking for. But I'm in 'the cup is half full' camp... so I see positive things with this light. I'll be writing a review soon. Welcome to the club! [emoji3]

#6 ·
I got my light on Wednesday. So far I like it I enjoy the moonlight and 24hr timer. I am in no way an expert in planted tanks as this is my first go at one but I have learned a lot in the process and I am currently in the works of starting dry ferts.
I have a journal that is focused on my 55 gallon that I started when I got my light. I have seen some good growth within the five days I had the light.

Lyfeoffishing's 55 gallon community
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=673665

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Hi, Lyfeoffishing... glad you're enjoying your new light. Pretty good choice for a "first go." You'll find the ability to fine tune the photoperiod and dimming capability far more convenient than old methods of drastically shortening duration or increasing distance (via suspension) in hopes of taming a light.
Thanks for adding your journal here. I'll link it in our list. Welcome to the club! [emoji41]

#14 ·
Hi EwDeg,

I don't have a PAR meter, but being that my 60p is only 12" deep and 14" tall, my entire tank's substrate is well lit. All my plants are growing. UG is filling in the foreground, sending runners. Stem plants, like my Rotala Macrandra in the back are developing red tips. It's only been about 3 weeks since I started using the light. Everything was practically newly planted, so I'm going to post a before and after pic soon. I was going to wait longer for a more dramatic difference, but I think everyone can benefit to see the light's potential in growing plants (sooner than later).

There is a little less even coverage toward the top of the tank due to the beam angle emitting light from such a shinny fixture with just a single row of LEDs. But I'm going to remedy this with the suspension kit, when ecoxotic releases it. I believe there's enough PAR output to allow me to suspend it a tad.

Perhaps later, after I grow out this tank completely.. I "might" try how it would be to combine its power in conjunction with a Sat+. Just for fun non-scientific experimental purposes. [emoji57]

#17 ·
Thanks for the response! I only ask because I'm pretty sure I'm getting this light for my 40B. I'm just concerned with par drop off. The ecoxotic materials say 60 par at 18", but unlike some other par charts, it doesn't show the different pars as you move away from the center line. If anyone can chime in, please do so. :)

#18 ·
As long as it grows the plants far from center, is all that matters to me. Sometimes PAR values are overrated, IMO. UG and R. Macrandra are considered fairly high light difficult species, but they're growing despite any PAR reduction away from center. Just my 2 cents.. someone else can chime in on that.

#33 ·
Please excuse my lack of proper terminology, but it's been a long day and I'm kind of new to this.

How many dimming modes are you able to set within the 24 hours? As far as I can tell, you're only able to have a moonlight and a sunlight setting scheduled, right?

Considering my tank is setup in my bedroom, I'm after something that can completely fade out to nothing later at night but still maintain a moonlight beforehand.

Essentially, I'd be programming something along the lines of the following:

-Moonlight
-Sunlight
-Moonlight
-Off

I just want to confirm this before I scrub this light off my list which is really disappointing because I love everything else about it.

#34 ·
You can only setup a moonlight/daylight into the timer. But you could set the moonlight to be blackout and set one of the memory slots for a real moonlight and before you go to bed just hit "resume" to black it out for the night.

Might I add I have this light on a 55gallon in my bedroom and moonlight doesn't bother my it is really faint. I have it set to 1% blue nothing else.

I know it's a picture but this is it on moonlight mode

#37 ·
I don't notice a shimmer in my tank but maybe because of the glass canopies or I just don't have an eye for it (new to planted tanks and LEDs.

I bought an 18 inch E series for my 11 g cadlights build and so far I am very impressed. I am doing a dry start at the moment and am wondering if I should be dimming the fixture and if so by how much? I just looked at the par data and it says 255 par at 6 inches which seems very high!

The front of my aquarium has 2 inches of substrate and the back has about 4 or 5 with the overall depth of the tank being 11.75 inches. So far I have dimmed the Full spectrum mode by 80 percent but I'm not sure if this is enough? Also after reading the manual provided with the light it says "To exit the custom color and put the light back in timer mode, press Resume". Does this mean you can't use the timer in Memory mode?

Yeah this is the only down side I can find to this light so far. I would love to have a nap period in my tank around 12-4 but I can do it so I have lights on from 8am-4pm instead.

#36 ·
I bought an 18 inch E series for my 11 g cadlights build and so far I am very impressed. I am doing a dry start at the moment and am wondering if I should be dimming the fixture and if so by how much? I just looked at the par data and it says 255 par at 6 inches which seems very high!

The front of my aquarium has 2 inches of substrate and the back has about 4 or 5 with the overall depth of the tank being 11.75 inches. So far I have dimmed the Full spectrum mode by 80 percent but I'm not sure if this is enough? Also after reading the manual provided with the light it says "To exit the custom color and put the light back in timer mode, press Resume". Does this mean you can't use the timer in Memory mode?

#39 ·
Does this mean you can't use the timer in Memory mode?
Yup... only memory modes used in the timer are what you set and commit to memory on "Daylight" and "Moonlight." Going from any 'on demand' setting back to your scheduled program is done by simply hitting resume. I really like this functionality because IMO, it's a step up from a separate ramp timer + Sat+ combo I used to run (which was good too, just not as good).

Do you get shimmer from this light?
No shimmer in my 60p. But there's some from the reflection off the surface and on to my walls next to tank. However, there's some shimmer on my hardscape stones on my 60f.

#45 ·
No.. this falls under the "open discussion" to anything pertaining to this light system. You raised a good question and I think I may try this out too. I did plug my e-Series to test it when I first got it. I set the timer and stored some settings. I left it unplugged for a day and after setting up my tank, I plugged the light back in and my settings and time were still there. So does that mean there's an internal battery inside the ramp timer? If so, how long can you run that schedule with the manual timer before you need to replace the battery?

#51 ·
Thanks!

I suspended the light by using two small L brackets and screwed it at both ends of the floating shelf. Then attached some wire through the brackets and under the legs of the light to suspend it.

I love the light so far. It's a big upgrade from the Ray2. I'm still playing around with the lighting and settings. I wish that there was an option for "sun - moonlight - off" since I don't want the moonlight on all day. I may try the mechanical timer option though.

Some problems I've had was with the the buttons on the controller is hard to press. Is anyone else having this problem and should I email them requesting for a different one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.