I think CFL bulbs are bad for plant growth. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think CFL bulbs are bad for plant growth.

I don't have any evidence to prove that CFL bulbs are bad for plant growth, but only personal experience. On my 10 gallon fish tank, I was using 2x13 watt CFL Phillips bulbs, and I kept getting brown diatoms. Then, I upgraded to 2x15 watt bulbs, and I still kept getting brown diatoms. I was wondering if any of you think that CFL bulbs are the culprit for brown diatoms? I also want to state that my new Finnex LED lights are giving me better plant growth than the CFL bulbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Nope.

Brown algae is extremely common in most new tank starts, even unplanted.

Once things level out, as long as everything is in balance (CO2, light, ferts), it's less common a problem.

You running CO2 on this tank?

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Nope.

Once things level out, as long as everything is in balance (CO2, light, ferts), it's less common a problem.

Yes, I am running CO2 in this tank. First, I was running 2x13 watt CFL with CO2, and then 2x15 watt with CO2, and was still getting brown diatoms. As soon as I upgraded to LED lights, the brown diatoms went away. I know that plant nutrients aren't an issue because I have a dirted tank. I had a 37 gallon fish only tank, where I was consistently getting brown diatoms, even though the tank was established for over a year. On my 37 gallon tank, I was using some marine land led lights just for viewing, but in that tank, as soon as I planted it with dirt, and upgraded the lights to T5 HO, the diatoms went away.

Last edited by kidgrave; 06-01-2014 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typo
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

How do you explain those that have been using CFLs for years and don't have diatoms?

That would be like me eating strawberries then getting food poisoning and saying.... "I think Strawberries are bad for your health. Eat bananas. I never get sick when eating bananas".
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have used cfl's exclusively. They worked great on my 40 gal heavily planted. I used three 100w equivalent bulbs with co2 and ei dosing and they grew like mad.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Light is light. Plants do not care much for where it comes from as long as it is the right intensity and spectrum.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I have used CFL's for years and my tanks never had brown algae, or really any algae. 2x13 watt over a 5.5 and then a 6 gallon for almost 4 years and 3 different scapes.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Nope.

+1

The reason why you are thinking the LED's didn't cause brown algae is that the tank had matured further. Diatoms is almost always a cycling issue. Just requires a little patience and maybe some Ottos/shrimp.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I have used CFL's for years and my tanks never had brown algae, or really any algae. 2x13 watt over a 5.5 and then a 6 gallon for almost 4 years and 3 different scapes.
No algae at all with 2 cfls on a 5.5? I'm guessing they are mounted horizontally thus reducing par/light intensity? If not, what's your secret? Whats your photo period?
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
No algae at all with 2 cfls on a 5.5? I'm guessing they are mounted horizontally thus reducing par/light intensity? If not, what's your secret? Whats your photo period?
They were mounted horizontally and had very poor reflectors. I don't know why it didn't work but it just did. Here are some old journals, the first link is still going but I haven't updated it in forever, now LED though.

6 Gallon, Low Tech Betta Tank
5G Low Tech, Rocks and Stems...Updated 6-8-2012
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
How do you explain those that have been using CFLs for years and don't have diatoms?

That would be like me eating strawberries then getting food poisoning and saying.... "I think Strawberries are bad for your health. Eat bananas. I never get sick when eating bananas".
Not all bulbs are created equally. Your argument about strawberries is not good because they not all grown under the same soil. It is just my theory that not all CFL bulbs are the most efficient for growing plants. I have used 6500k bulbs, and how am I supposed to know how much of the blue and of the red spectrum my plants are receiving? There are so many different brands of bulbs, that it could be hard to know if some are the culprit of brown diatoms.

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rballi View Post
+1

The reason why you are thinking the LED's didn't cause brown algae is that the tank had matured further. Diatoms is almost always a cycling issue. Just requires a little patience and maybe some Ottos/shrimp.
Before I tore my 37 gallon tank, it was established and mature for 3 years, and it would always, and I mean always get brown diatoms. Based on my experience, I would say that brown diatoms either have something to do with the bulbs, or silicates in the water. I have read about people testing their water, and getting brown diatoms with very low silicates.

post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I completely agree with you kidgrave, CFL are awful awful awful lights. I dare anyone to find a tank using CFL that has any type of lust plant growth.

I'll wait....

There no way CFL can grow something like a carpet of HC Cuba, impossible! It's not going to work with CFL, you will get a ton of algae and the tank will never be lust green in colour.

ADA 60P
|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|Fluval Edge[6g] |DIY Diffuser YT
E-series E60 on ADA60F - MicMol AquaMini x3 on ADA 60P - MicMol AquaPro on ADA30C
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 09:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
I completely agree with you kidgrave, CFL are awful awful awful lights. I dare anyone to find a tank using CFL that has any type of lust plant growth.

I'll wait....

There no way CFL can grow something like a carpet of HC Cuba, impossible! It's not going to work with CFL, you will get a ton of algae and the tank will never be lust green in colour.
LoL.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidgrave View Post
Yes, I am running CO2 in this tank. First, I was running 2x13 watt CFL with CO2, and then 2x15 watt with CO2, and was still getting brown diatoms. As soon as I upgraded to LED lights, the brown diatoms went away.
Brown diatoms are not photosynthetic they eat debris in the water so the CFL bulbs didn't encourage their growth.

Also, they do not like bright light, so when you upgraded to the LEDs you likely caused them to travel into the substrate and out of view.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode