The Planted Tank Forum banner

Finnex Planted+

5K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Brian_Cali77 
#1 ·
Anyone hear about the new Finnex Planted+ LED? I was inquiring about a light and they told me about it. Said it should be available in early Nov. I did a search here and didn't find anything.

#2 ·
I have this light as an early sweepstakes winner. Its brighter than the fugeray, a step less than the RAYII and incorporate RED and Blue LEDs like the Satellite LED+. The only difference is the Satellite offers dim adjustment where the Finnex are fixed.

This fixture runs over my shrimp tanks and it keeps ricca dense and thick without CO2 injection. This is a sure sign that the light is sufficient for plants over a 20G High tank. If you have any specific questions, feel free to post or pm.

#5 ·
I think with two Ray 2's you'd need co2 or heavy glut (excel) dosing. You'd be better off with two Fugeray Planted+ lights IMO. I've used two Ray 2's on a 21" tall tank before... everything grew like a jungle (including algae) but all my red plants faded to green eventually. It's too washed out. The red diodes will make a positive difference. Colors would pop more.

For a tall tank, however, those BuildmyLED (BML) fixtures are also great to consider. The dimmer option is highly beneficial in dialing in just the right amount of light.

#6 ·
The new planted+ fixture isnt a step down persay as it does have colors which the RAYii could never provide.

My 40g breeder started off with only a single RayII but proved insufficient to spread the amount to span the 18" width without casting a shadow so a Monster Ray was added as which actually coaxed the colors out of my plants and livestock.

Remember that proper lights is not all about PAR and all RGB colored led lamps will always be dimmer but the plants will surely benefit from the full spectrum that fixed kelvin lamps could offer. A best of both worlds if you will.

Curious, Why are two 30" considered over two 48" fixtures?

#7 ·
Thanks to you both :) If you think the planted + will be enough then I will get it. It sounds more like what I am looking for. My tank is 60" and they did say the 30" planted+ light would be fully lighted. That is probably part of the reason he recommended I wait for it.

I was looking at the Build My LED and I am interested. I was liking the Finnex price much better. We have 4 kids to feed in this house and I am not working ATM. So any price savings is a plus :) Although I have no idea how much the Planted Plus is.

I am interested in the dimming option.

#9 ·
I would like to bring out the reddish tones in my plants that are capable of it. Right now in my 55 gallon the plants that show some colors are an unknown Crypt, Bacopa carolinia, Hygrophila polysperma, Nymphaea (which I don' think is hard ;), Alternanthera reinecki (which doesn't do that great for me, covered in algae except the top leaves.) I have some Nesaea in a holding tank but I won't be surprised if it dies on me. I also have some other stuff in the holding tank, Hydroctyle 'Japan', Stargrass, Cyperus helferii, Bacopa moneiri.
I recently added Brazilian Pennywort, Hygrophilia angustifloia, Marsilea (which seems to mosly disappear) they aren't doing all that well. I know part of my problem is too much light without CO2, so I am trying to learn from my mistakes and choose the right light this time.
I also have a bunch of easy stuff Mosses, Wisteria, Watersprite, Java Fern, Crypt Spiralis, Dwarf Sags, random Aponogeton that grew from dry bulbs. To try and keep to algae from completely taking over. At one time I had an impressive carpet of Dwarf Hairgrass and Baby Tears (not dwarf) but for some reason it died out on me. I would love to get either of those going again.

I had been considering CO2 but I have Discus now so I have been advised to worry about their health before the plants. Hence the decision to try and go without CO2. I am just trying to grow whatever I can at this point that will cope with high temps and no Co2.

#11 ·
google for "photosynthesis spectrum" and you will get your answer in notime.
side benefit is it makes red fishes and red plants look more vibrant.

our grandmothers already knew the best way to make plant grow is to provide deep red and royal blue spectrum. nothing has changed here since then

#12 ·
How much of each distinct spectrum to provide for each specific plant is where things become rather complex rather quickly. Plants don't use, need, or want the same "amount" of red as of blue.

What is the "optimal" ratio of beer to steak is anyone's guess. And your optimal ratio might get me drunk in no time.

v3

#16 ·
Thanks Brian! That is what I was worried about. I thought that the Finnex fixtures that said they were the same as 3 bulbs would work, because someone else said 3 bulbs would be good on my tank. I don't think I mentioned trying DHG though. I can't find any 60" fixtures except an ATI and it is very pricey! There is one by aquatic life but it uses 48" bulbs so I figured why bother because it is pretty expensive considering. Maybe I should just go with Build My LED, I am even having a hard time finding 30" fixtures. I am pretty sure the ones I've found all use 24" bulbs.
So until I figure out what to do, I have my 48" T5HO 4 bulb fixture on the tank.

Oh and I do dose Excel, on my 55 gal but I was hoping if I got the light right I might not have to anymore. The idea of pressurized CO2 is growing on me. I have seen some nice Discus tanks that use it. :)

#17 ·
I don't think I mentioned trying DHG though.
Ummm, yes you did... Here's the quote:

At one time I had an impressive carpet of Dwarf Hairgrass and Baby Tears (not dwarf) but for some reason it died out on me. I would love to get either of those going again.
If you would love to get those going again, you'd need that extra light intensity.

BML does come in a 60" configuration. The dimmer option would be ideal because it would give you the flexibility to dial in the desired intensity. I'd contact their customer service first and give them the dimensions of the tank and to describe your ambitions with the tank/lighting so they can offer the best advice.

#19 · (Edited)
Attached is picture of my 125 gallon tank. I have (3) 24" finnex Ray II, they are mounted about 8" off the water on open top tank. I have CO2 running, but dose any ferts. I am posting to give you an idea what lighting will look like. I have since added (2) 18" Red Hidden Led fixtures under lip of tank along front facing towards back.

Edit: sorry I said 30" for my ray II before they are 24".

Attachments

#21 ·
Thanks so much for sharing! I was actually thinking about those hidden Red LEDS. I wasn't sure if they would emit enough light to be usable for the plants or if it is just an aesthetic thing, I have the regular ones so I can extend my viewing period and I have them set on a timer to use as moonlights. It is great to see how the lights look!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.