"Too much" light is the amount that causes you to have algae problems that make having a planted tank a job instead of a pleasure. So, yes, you definitely can have too much light. If you are very good at judging the plants needs by just observing them, you can use more light than if you aren't that good. It is possible to keep enough CO2 in the water to avoid major algae problems with very high light, but it takes a lot of tank maintenance done well, and very good judgment about when the plants need more CO2, and when the fish are getting too much CO2. Only you know how good your judgment is.