Induction Lighting - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
AlexG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 19
Induction Lighting

I've got a coworker who is selling induction lights, mostly for outdoor / industrial usage. From what he tells me, they use a lot less electricity than T5 and T8 and the light spectru, intensity, and lifespan blows away LED (which I've never been a big fan of).

I was hoping someone knew some information or has some experience with this technology because it seems like a great application for aquariums in theory, especially for planted tanks.
AlexG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 150
I got an induction lamp to test out but returned in the end. The one that I had interfere with my open tv reception and it also produce a low level hum.

I am still waiting for some one to make and external electrode flourescent lamp for home use. They are supposed to last as long as led and are very efficient.
ecotanker is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
AlexG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 19
Nice to know that someone has given this a whirl. I'm not too concerned with the TV reception as I have cable and I think I can live with the hum. I'm more concerned on the light spectrum and intensity. From what my coworker tells me, he's replacing 400 w parking lot florescent lights with 125 watt induction lights and getting better coverage.

He mentioned getting into aquarium lighting and I told him that I would be more than willing to beta test it out for live plants.

I'm just so sick of paying 40 - 50 usd for replacement CF bulbs and I wanna stay away from LED.
AlexG is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 02:39 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotanker View Post
I got an induction lamp to test out but returned in the end. The one that I had interfere with my open tv reception and it also produce a low level hum.

I am still waiting for some one to make and external electrode flourescent lamp for home use. They are supposed to last as long as led and are very efficient.
Is this what you mean ?
http://stores.bestingreensolutions.c...Categories.bok
Steve001 is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 02:42 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
I've got a coworker who is selling induction lights, mostly for outdoor / industrial usage. From what he tells me, they use a lot less electricity than T5 and T8 and the light spectru, intensity, and lifespan blows away LED (which I've never been a big fan of).

I was hoping someone knew some information or has some experience with this technology because it seems like a great application for aquariums in theory, especially for planted tanks.
Check this company out.
http://www.inda-gro.com/
Steve001 is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 02:57 AM
Planted Member
 
Disher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 186
Induction Lighting

Those lighting technologies are very interesting. Why aren't these talked about more often? I've never heard of either one of them but would try them out in a heart beat
Disher is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disher View Post
Those lighting technologies are very interesting. Why aren't these talked about more often? I've never heard of either one of them but would try them out in a heart beat
This type of lighting is very old technology.
Maybe you can answer the question. Why don't you know ? Whatever answer you come up with probably applies to lots of people.

There's also something called plasma lighting.
Steve001 is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 04:44 AM
Algae Grower
 
moto826's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: olympia
Posts: 52
Re: Induction Lighting

I think cherry corals tried plasma lighting when they dimmed it it changed the spectrum

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
moto826 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 150
That is similar to the induction lamp I tested out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
ecotanker is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Algae Grower
 
defender.TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 71
Why don't you just go right to Sulphur Plasma Lighting?
defender.TX is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
AlexG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Check this company out.
http://www.inda-gro.com/
That's really interesting; except the price tag...
AlexG is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:02 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: River Falls, WI
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
That's really interesting; except the price tag...
The price tag is pretty competitive.

If you can believe the manufacturer's statements, a 200 W induction light is close to equivalent to a 400 W MH. Figure a five year operating lifetime, you're going to replace the MH bulbs twice, maybe three times. At my cost of electricity $.0977/kW/hr, you're looking at a five year cost of $855 to run the MH, half that for the induction. Looks to me that you save about $250 over five years. And the manufacturer claims a 16 year lifetime (70K hours, 12 hours per day...)

Now, the form factor doesn't look that good (reflector for a 5' x 5' area for 200 W, better for horticulture). Looks like this would be good for growing ... tomatoes ... in your basement.

Seems like this needs to have a circular or rectangular bulb. If someone wanted to make this in a friendlier form factor to match our tanks, or a lower wattage, with a decent spectrum, this technology could work.
cheesehead is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,261
So what's wrong with the lighting we have now? Other than from an energy savings point of view what do these lights accomplish that we can't with traditional CFLs and LEDs?

Although those induction lamps look really friggin cool.
Jeffww is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
AlexG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
So what's wrong with the lighting we have now? Other than from an energy savings point of view what do these lights accomplish that we can't with traditional CFLs and LEDs?

Although those induction lamps look really friggin cool.
There's nothing "wrong" per-say with our current lights but what were people using before MH or CFL? The technology is advancing and when they apply it to our specific needs, it can only get better, right?

Lower energy cost is something that we aquascapers don't always take into consideration. If we could get the same results while using less energy, weather that be energy efficient lights, lower cost to run our filters and heaters, we should embrace it. I hate to get all hippie on everyone but there are few threads on this site about lower energy costs and this could be our first step.

PS... hell yea those look cool
AlexG is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
AlexG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
The price tag is pretty competitive.

If you can believe the manufacturer's statements, a 200 W induction light is close to equivalent to a 400 W MH. Figure a five year operating lifetime, you're going to replace the MH bulbs twice, maybe three times. At my cost of electricity $.0977/kW/hr, you're looking at a five year cost of $855 to run the MH, half that for the induction. Looks to me that you save about $250 over five years. And the manufacturer claims a 16 year lifetime (70K hours, 12 hours per day...)

Now, the form factor doesn't look that good (reflector for a 5' x 5' area for 200 W, better for horticulture). Looks like this would be good for growing ... tomatoes ... in your basement.

Seems like this needs to have a circular or rectangular bulb. If someone wanted to make this in a friendlier form factor to match our tanks, or a lower wattage, with a decent spectrum, this technology could work.
From the very little research I've done, the biggest issue I see is the light spectrum. The highest I've seen any induction light is 6700. It is A LOT of power for what most of us could use (unless you're running a massive 200 g +) and at that point, I would think it would be better to go with a HPS set up.

One day, they'll have it applied for our needs. By then, there will be a technology even better for us to look forward to aquarium applications.

Last edited by AlexG; 02-06-2013 at 03:18 AM. Reason: wrong termination
AlexG is offline  
Reply

Tags
induction, technology

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome