Red plants and LEDs - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
wabisabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ハワイ諸島
Posts: 487
Red plants and LEDs

Has anyone seen photos or been able to bring out vibrant deep reds in red plants using just led lighting? I thought I read somewhere that LEDs can't bring out the reds like T5s can.

Do you find this to be true? Please post a link or pic if you know of someone growing some vibrant deep red plants with LEDs.

Thanks!
wabisabi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,261
My R. macrandra japan red is very read under 10k and blue LEDs...However you can't really see the redness unless you put them under a normal 6500k bulb. I think this is the issue. Most LEDs render reds very poorly.
Jeffww is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 127
why would 6500 render differently depending on technology used?
Kensho is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa
 
TexasCichlid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,510
It's not dependent on technology. It's dependent on a 10k visible spectrum vs a 6500k visible spectrum. If you had an LED system more towards 6500k color temp, you would see different colors come out than with a 10k.
TexasCichlid is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hoppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 20,732
LEDs and fluorescent lights don't produce spectrums that match certain color temperatures. Instead, LEDs tend to all have a big, wide peak in the blue area, and a much smaller peak in the red. Fluorescents have narrow peaks that are spread around, depending on exactly what phosphors are used. Because our eyes are relatively insensitive to red light, in order to see intense reds we need our lights to supply a big peak in the red area, making most of the LEDs we use somewhat deficient in that regards. But, if our goal is growing healthy plants, that look great in our aquascape, why do we need intense reds?

Hoppy
Hoppy is online now  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 03:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Pedro, California
Posts: 324
I have Ecoxotic 8000 Panorama's plus 2 magenta strips and my R macranda Japan looks nice and red. Even with the magenta strips off they look red.



After 50 years I do a lot of things right, but still get things wrong
Tenor1 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 03:59 PM
csf
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA.
Posts: 187
I think it's CRI - color rendering index. Natural light (sun) has lots of light in the various colors. CRI of natural light is 100. Surprisingly incandescent bulbs are also ~100 (probably since they are blackbody radiators, same as the sun). CRI isn't the same as light "color".

Artificial light isn't as well spread out. CRIs can drop into the 80s and lower. Really low for the old "fish tank bulbs".

You can still grow plants (good PAR), might still look good to the eye (color temp), but might be missing some of the spectrum.

A mix of bulb colors (LED or otherwise) is what lots of people do to help spread the spectrum out.

I've got a 50/50 of warm white and cool white 10W LEDs (8 of each). I'm toying with swapping some out for some blues and/or reds as it looks a little warm for my tastes.

The RGB LEDs look interesting too - red, green and blue in one unit. Needs it's own ballast however.
csf is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
james1542's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 506
james1542 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
wabisabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ハワイ諸島
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
My R. macrandra japan red is very read under 10k and blue LEDs...However you can't really see the redness unless you put them under a normal 6500k bulb. I think this is the issue. Most LEDs render reds very poorly.
bummer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
LEDs and fluorescent lights don't produce spectrums that match certain color temperatures. Instead, LEDs tend to all have a big, wide peak in the blue area, and a much smaller peak in the red. Fluorescents have narrow peaks that are spread around, depending on exactly what phosphors are used. Because our eyes are relatively insensitive to red light, in order to see intense reds we need our lights to supply a big peak in the red area, making most of the LEDs we use somewhat deficient in that regards. But, if our goal is growing healthy plants, that look great in our aquascape, why do we need intense reds?
Yes, my goal is to grow healthy plants. But also to bring out all the beauty the plant has to offer as well. There's no denying that some red plants just have a certain 'WOW' factor. If you can grow healthy vibrant red plants, then why not have your cake and eat it too?

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...butterfly.html



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenor1 View Post
I have Ecoxotic 8000 Panorama's plus 2 magenta strips and my R macranda Japan looks nice and red. Even with the magenta strips off they look red.
Pics or it didn't happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csf View Post
I think it's CRI - color rendering index. Natural light (sun) has lots of light in the various colors. CRI of natural light is 100. Surprisingly incandescent bulbs are also ~100 (probably since they are blackbody radiators, same as the sun). CRI isn't the same as light "color".

Artificial light isn't as well spread out. CRIs can drop into the 80s and lower. Really low for the old "fish tank bulbs".

You can still grow plants (good PAR), might still look good to the eye (color temp), but might be missing some of the spectrum.

A mix of bulb colors (LED or otherwise) is what lots of people do to help spread the spectrum out.

I've got a 50/50 of warm white and cool white 10W LEDs (8 of each). I'm toying with swapping some out for some blues and/or reds as it looks a little warm for my tastes.

The RGB LEDs look interesting too - red, green and blue in one unit. Needs it's own ballast however.
Interesting..... I'm really looking for a commercially available premade fixture though. The thing stopping me from taking the plunge with LED's is that I haven't seen a tank running them growing nice red plants.
wabisabi is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabisabi View Post
bummer!



Yes, my goal is to grow healthy plants. But also to bring out all the beauty the plant has to offer as well. There's no denying that some red plants just have a certain 'WOW' factor. If you can grow healthy vibrant red plants, then why not have your cake and eat it too?





Interesting..... I'm really looking for a commercially available premade fixture though. The thing stopping me from taking the plunge with LED's is that I haven't seen a tank running them growing nice red plants.
Like the other poster said. You really need a mixture of different color leds. so that the CRI and kelvin temperature is very close to 100 and between 5500-5900k. It is doable by going the diy route. You can use the diy app at buildmyled.com. I played around with it and was able to create a light source with a CRI of 98 and Kelvin temperature of 5500-5900. I suspect that incorporating a yellow led it might bring that CRI to 100. There is a thread by a member using a fixture by that company. The thread contains photos of her planted tank.
Steve001 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome