Sylvania is the only brand that has 6.5k Spiral mini CFL at Lowes. The rest of them go up to 5k. Home Depot does not carry the 6.5k Sylvanias. You want the 13 watts not the 23 watters. Your fixtures are kinda high so you might get away with the 23 watters, but keep and eye on algae. And start thinking about adding pressurized Co2...
I bought these at lowes but am not sure if these are right for growing plants or even if they are too much without CO2. Right now I have a lot of hair algae because I accidentally added too much fertilizer and I have a DIY CO2 bottle running but don't plant on keeping it for very long.
Should I use these instead of the 14W CFLs I have on there now?
if you're getting algae with the 14's, guess what will happen if you use the 23's (an increase of 160%)--more algae.
i think you should check out the sticky, "par data for spiral bulbs" to help you to choose the correct wattage and height placement above the tank.
as to finding 65k bulbs, ge's "energy smart" line is another brand to look for.
If I am getting lots of hair algae should I keep lower wattage lights until I get more plant growth? I have already stopped adding ferts for now but the hair algae is still covering everything.
is the tank fully cycled? is it relatively new (less than 3 months)? i think you have too few plants in there to keep the algae at bay.
1. manually remove as much hair algae as you can.
2. do a 3 day blackout, followed by a 75-80% water change.
3. put as many fast growing plants (hornwort, egeria, hygrophila) as you can. ideally, you shouldn't be able to see the substrate from above.
4. check out the sticky to determine appropriate bulb wattage and height placement.
5. dose excel. dose ferts once a week or two.
6. restrict water changes to once every 2 - 3 months, and no more than 50% at a time.
yeah the tank is about 2 months old. Its cycled but all I have in there is a sponge filter so there is almost no circulation right now. I will do a blackout and add extra plants but I don't plan on getting pressurized CO2 anytime soon.
I will get the 13w Sylvania lights since I have seen those at the lowes near me.
Thanks for the suggestions.