LED build 90g questions - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
LED build 90g questions

Hello, I'm planning on building a LED light fixture for my 90g tank. It will be lightly planted but I want to have enough light to grow just about anything in the future. I'll be using Cree LEDs on multiple drives so I can change the intensity of the lights. Does anybody know how many LEDs I need to cover a 4ft tank? Should I build a long strip of lights or two square lights on each side?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru
There isn't just one good way to light a tank using LEDs. You can make a strip light, make square lights, sit the light(s) on top of the tank, or hang the lights. You can use high power LEDs or low power LEDs. You can use optics or not. Here is one way to design a strip light, using whatever optics you want, with the light at what ever distance from the substrate you want: One Way to Design a Planted Tank LED Light

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Thanks for the info! Any ideas on incorporating RGB LEDs for a broader color spectrum? I understand there are two color ranges that can be used by plants and I'm wondering if I should try to provide both or use cool white 6500k LEDs only.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode