The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fluval Spec V and Ray II

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  STS_1OO 
#1 ·
I bought a fluval spec V for my desk at home. And wanted to swap out the lighting on it to grow a nice low carpet of HC. Anyways the 16 inch duel 7k was the one I was looking at but can't get it till later in the month due to it being back ordered. Will this light work for my goals with this tank. I have a DIY co2 system ready to go when the time comes. I'm going DSM with the HC. I've never had such a small tank before. Using the fixtures legs it will sit about 10-11 inches from the top of the substrate.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

#3 ·
You should have no problem at all....

I have Ray IIs on 3 of my tanks and a Fugeray on a 2.5 gallon.

The Finnex output is strong, you will not be disappointed. On that note though, I wished they make the Ray II in smaller sizes so that I didn't have to get the Fugeray. The output is not as strong and it also has the blue moonlights for use at night...who actually uses it? Lol

I asked them about it, they're not making it anytime soon. They felt a tank so small wouldn't require such high output in the sizes of 10 and 12 inches...I can see the reasoning behind that, but oh boy, I was spoiled with the Ray IIs initially.

#4 ·
eeeng,

Do you think the Ray II at just 12" above the substrate (for the Fluval Spec v) will push light levels high enough to demand CO2 and regular ferts?

I'm aiming for a happy medium where growth isn't explosive, CO2 isn't required (but perhaps liquid CO2 can help) and where I don't have fert every day.

I'm wondering whether the Fugeray or Ray II is more appropriate for that at the 12" height.

Your thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.