The Planted Tank Forum banner

LED floodlights

13K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  morelight 
#1 ·
Anyone had any experience with LED floodlights? I can't find anyone using for freshwater planted tanks yet.

See less See more
#4 ·
they are $30 max for a 10W LED I found some as cheap as $15 with free shipping. They also come in 20W and 50W, which is rediculously huge and go 3500-4500LM, pretty HUGE though. These are sold in every color spectrum, why they are a big deal for saltwater tanks right now.

#8 ·
I have researched this a bit. My understanding was that the 10 watts are okay for normal depth tanks. Deep tanks such as mine, a 125 would need the 20 watt ones. In my case I would need ten of them for a 6 foot tank so for that cost its not that great for me. When my cash flow allows I will be going with the aqua ray 2. Minimum cost for lights alone would be 270.00 I have not seen actual pictures of these led floodlights mounted only just heard of it being done.

#10 ·
Really interested in these floodlights as they cheap here in uk, can get A 10 watt for about £10 , i have built a wooden hanger above my tank which these lights could be screwed to pretty easy and the bracket lets you adjust to the angle accordingly , would these be any good for a 16" deep tank?

#14 ·
I'm about to get 16 10w and grow something even if they dont work for my tanks. I am so excited they have cheap ones in the US they are RGBW color and have a remote control for $21 shipped. I really wanna have some NON planted tanks with nice ambiance lighting.

900 LM for a 10 w the 100w are 8000LM I believe there are so many different kinds. Careful make sure they have the LM value listed when you buy off ebay alot of defects on there.

#29 ·
It requires DIY and many rather just buy fixtures and plug them in.

If they burn out or fry on you, good luck actualy getting a replacement.

For the low cost where a 36" bulb T5HO, it would be worth it if it lasts the long usage and never having to replace a lamp. Even spiral CFLs aren't that cheap.

#31 ·
I believe most come with bare wires that you would need to solder to a power cord. At least the one I ordered has bare wires. I have a ton of spare PC power cords so that's not a big deal.

Not saying this is difficult to do but not sure how many have a soldering iron.

If the unit I get works and I don't fry the LED, I plan on using a Kessil A150 gooseneck clamp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.