The Planted Tank Forum banner

Odyssea 48" 4 Bulb w/ LED Moonlights & Timer Broke 1st Night

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  flutterbug 
#1 ·
Hi I had ordered the Odyssea 48" 4 Bulb w/ LED Moonlights & Timer in January. The main reason I wanted it was because I though the Moonlight LEDs would be great. So the first night I ran it they came on at the time I had programmed them too. My husband and I admired it and about 10 minutes later one side of the tank wasn't lit anymore. We thought it was weird but figured one bulb was bad. About 5 minutes all four of the LEDs were out. My husband is a very handy fellow and builds gunite swimming pools for a living. He knows how to wire much more complicated systems than what would be involved in this light, so he looked at it and got one side to come back on. That lasted for about 5 more minutes, then went out again. So I emailed Aquatraders and they very quickly mailed out 4 new bulbs. When we got them my husband put them all in and we ended up having the same experience as the first time. I e-mailed Aquatraders again and they sent back an e-mail that said this exactly "Yes, we are going to arrange the following replacement part ship to you by USPS:

1x LED Ballast for T5 Quad Timer
4x LED for T5 Quad Timer

Aquatraders Customer Service
email: service@aquatraders.com
http://www.aquatraders.com"

Then I never received anything from them. I've tried e-mailing them again numerous times and they just ignore me. I've tried calling the number on the website numerous times and it just rings endlessly then a message from the operator comes on saying "you've reached an non working number."

Anyways now I've decided perhaps I could find replacement parts and just buy them. Aquatraders doesn't have a ballast for this model on their website so I am wondering if any one has an idea as to what I should be replacing. Just the bulbs is most likely not going to work. I see two things that look like they could be replaced the first is 2 boxes that say LED Driver 85-265V 50/60 Hz Output 1x3W DC 650mA 6V (I found and ebay seller that sells something that looks comprable.) Then there is a single box that says Power LED AC Adapter Input 100-240V 50-60Hz Output DC12V 500mA. Should changing either or all of these possibly help?

See less See more
#2 ·
This is a good time to get out a small meter and do some searching. It is possible to get lucky and change the right part but it is often much cheaper to buy a meter and really diagnose the problem. The electronics are pretty simple but without being able to actually check the voltage coming and going, it will be a long shot to find it.

#9 ·
For one time use, I often look to Harbor Freight. But there are many different spots to buy a meter. You will want one called a multimeter so that the voltage as well as resistance can be measured. In the range of $7-10 dollars will get it done.

This meter will do:
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-multimeter-98025.html
Asked Hubby and he says he already has a meter and he can look at it. How long til that happens? Who knows?:icon_roll

I was trying to figure it out myself so I wouldn't have to wait another 6 months ;)

Nalu sorry to hear you also got burned by these people. The weirdest part is the first time I tried to contact them I called and someone actually answered! He told me they would only deal with my problem through e-mail! I thought that was odd.

This is what I would do:

1. Take light and throw it in garbage.
2. Buy a quality light.

Oddysea is less than cheap. Too many people have been duped... sorry it happened to you too. Count yourself lucky that you actually got light out of the thing before it crapped out. They never ever turn on for some.

*** Also, if you are poking around the ballast and stuff be very careful. Those things have very high voltages to fire the bulbs. Easy to let the magic smoke out of the meter too.
I know you probably weren't trying but you made me laugh. I think the only reason I'm no super POd and ranting and raving about Aquatraders is because the regular lights work, the moonlights were just for my enjoyment. Not necessary for my plants, but I still wish they worked.

I have been reading that the par on these is probably the same as regular bulbs rather than high output. I knew I wouldn't run CO2 in thje beginning so I wasn't too worried about only having low to medium light. Anyone know exactly what the par is? Or where to find that info. They are 19" above substrate. I've only been running two of the four bulbs and I have had an algae factory. Unless I remember to keep up with Excel. Now I'm thinking of trying a DIY CO2.

#6 ·
Some word of caution here. This will take some working with the electronics plugged in and can be dangerous if the wrong parts are touched. I'm assuming this is one for the husband and he has done this before??

Most likely he has so this is for your info. What the meter lets you do is go to a spot like where the cord plugs in. You can check the power(voltage) and see it is there, then move up the wiring to the next part. At each part, there has to be the correct voltage input going in and the correct output coming out. At some point one should find it going in but not coming out. Bingo! You have likely found the correct part to change. Not totally that simple but for a quick lesson we will let the rest be a mystery, okay?

#7 ·
I also had problems with aquatraders.
I ordered the CFS 700 with UV, when it arrived the UV bulb+ glass tube was broken.
Send them 10 email + pics and they never replied. I tried to do a dispute with the bank, but lost this... I never got contact with them, no email no phone call...
90 dollar in the trash.

Sorry, but can't help you with your lighting question.

#8 ·
This is what I would do:

1. Take light and throw it in garbage.
2. Buy a quality light.

Oddysea is less than cheap. Too many people have been duped... sorry it happened to you too. Count yourself lucky that you actually got light out of the thing before it crapped out. They never ever turn on for some.

*** Also, if you are poking around the ballast and stuff be very careful. Those things have very high voltages to fire the bulbs. Easy to let the magic smoke out of the meter too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.