Newbie with questions on 29 gallon tank (pics) - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Buford, GA
Posts: 213
Newbie with questions on 29 gallon tank (pics)

I have a 29 gallon tank with Onyx sand and just got it planted the way I want. The LFS sold me on a 48w Aquatic Life T5HO light and looking at my tank now, I am afraid I have too much light. I am dosing with Excel and I am planning on fertilizing with Flourish. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG279.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	50017  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG280.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	50018  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG281.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	50019  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG282.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	50020  

ScubaSteve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 77
Yea it seems u have more light than you need. I also have a 29 gallon and all u need is a fixture 2x24 and you should be fine.
AndrewGreen is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Buford, GA
Posts: 213
That is what this is, a 2 x 24w fixture. I am thinking of a DIY co2 kit as well. Should I take out one bulb for now?
ScubaSteve is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 77
Im in the same situation as you and i were you id keep using the two bulbs and see how algae growth is. What i recommend with what im doing with my 29 gallon is have 4 otos for clearing up any algae and they also clean the plant leaves very well which is what i love about them. Then dose the proper supplements for the plants. Get what you can and try to get Seachem Excel which is a good source of carbon and you can also combine that with the diy co2 and you should be good to go. Just stock up on more plants!
AndrewGreen is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 1,747
Estimative Index (EI) fertilizing is a very good idea for a potentially high light tank like yours, assuming those are High Output bulbs. If so, you'll need CO2 too.

Unless you like algae, I'd use only one bulb until you're fully equipped.

29g high tech, 10g low tech halfmoon, and please see my 5g crescent journal.
Rainer is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Buford, GA
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGreen View Post
Im in the same situation as you and i were you id keep using the two bulbs and see how algae growth is. What i recommend with what im doing with my 29 gallon is have 4 otos for clearing up any algae and they also clean the plant leaves very well which is what i love about them. Then dose the proper supplements for the plants. Get what you can and try to get Seachem Excel which is a good source of carbon and you can also combine that with the diy co2 and you should be good to go. Just stock up on more plants!
Do you have the HO t5 bulbs as well? What kind of setup do you have as far as co2,etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
Estimative Index (EI) fertilizing is a very good idea for a potentially high light tank like yours, assuming those are High Output bulbs. If so, you'll need CO2 too.

Unless you like algae, I'd use only one bulb until you're fully equipped.
What is IE fertilizing and would flourish accomplish that?
ScubaSteve is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:10 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 1,747
Flourish would cover only part of it. There's a great sticky on the subject in the fertilizer subforum..

29g high tech, 10g low tech halfmoon, and please see my 5g crescent journal.
Rainer is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Do you have the HO t5 bulbs as well? What kind of setup do you have as far as co2,etc?
Im not completely setup yet ive ordered some stuff online recently, im very informed in my equipment and ill tell what i have coming. I have a ZooMed AquaSun 30" Fixture 2x24. I ordered the GE Starcoat 6500k and Giesemann AquaFlora. I chose the GE over the midday because the GE has better PAR and ppl say it is fairly brighter and has a crisper white color. And im very confused with supplements but i bought the bare basics which is Seachem Fluorish, Excel, and the tabs to provide extra nutrients. I just really want someone to tell me all the name of the supplements i need and period not name the chemical. But ill update u when i set everything up.

Yes i do have t5 ho 24" bulbs (really 22"). And co2 im planning on using excel and a diy setup.
AndrewGreen is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Buford, GA
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGreen View Post
Yes i do have t5 ho 24" bulbs (really 22"). And co2 im planning on using excel and a diy setup.
I'm with you, there seems to be so much conflicting info out there. I wonder if a diy co2 kit would be enough with my lighting.
ScubaSteve is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
I'm with you, there seems to be so much conflicting info out there. I wonder if a diy co2 kit would be enough with my lighting.
Yea all this information ive looked through it all just gets REALLY CONFUSING AND IRRITATING. But if you dose excel and have a good DIY co2 setup with a diffuser u can purchase off ebay for $5-10 you should be fine im sure. Otherwise i recommend making a pressurized system that only costs about $100-115. If u want to know how to do it i can definately link u to the guide. Its mainly running off a paintball tank but reffiling can be annoyinf but take this as a suggestion.
AndrewGreen is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Buford, GA
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGreen View Post
Yea all this information ive looked through it all just gets REALLY CONFUSING AND IRRITATING. But if you dose excel and have a good DIY co2 setup with a diffuser u can purchase off ebay for $5-10 you should be fine im sure. Otherwise i recommend making a pressurized system that only costs about $100-115. If u want to know how to do it i can definately link u to the guide. Its mainly running off a paintball tank but reffiling can be annoyinf but take this as a suggestion.
That would be great...Thank you!
ScubaSteve is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 77
AndrewGreen is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Buford, GA
Posts: 213
I got my DIY co2 setup and it seems to be working pretty well. Will post pics later today.
ScubaSteve is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PeterN1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 514
Like Hoppy likes to suggest, you could also buy fiberglass window screen from Home Depot or Lowe's ($7 max) and cut out a rectangle or two to put just below your light to reduce the intensity.
PeterN1986 is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Buford, GA
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterN1986 View Post
Like Hoppy likes to suggest, you could also buy fiberglass window screen from Home Depot or Lowe's ($7 max) and cut out a rectangle or two to put just below your light to reduce the intensity.
Actually, I think the plants are starting to perk up since I added my DIY CO2 the other day...it is running around 1.25 bubbles a second (I have yet to figure out the PPM in the tank). I have been dosing with Excel every other day and I am doing Flourish once a week. I am trying to figure out what other ferts to supplemant with as well. Oh, I also add a few fish (after cycling with stability). I have had the fish in for a little over a week and they are doing great.

Here are the pics of my CO2 System...I am adding a second bottle today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1131.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	50396  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1133.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	50397  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1134.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	50398  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1135.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	50399  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1136.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	50400  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1137.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	50401  

ScubaSteve is offline  
Reply

Tags
excel, flourish, lighting, plants, t5ho

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome