LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd love to see AI release a freshwater version, just sayin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

After seeing the Kessils Par , I guess Ill be keeping my 2 150 Watt Metal halides. I know 300 watts over 65 gallons sound a little crazy, but I can grow anything. Even a reef set up. If Kessil would drop their price by 20-30%. Then three kessils would be fine on one of my 120Ps. Aquaillumination only offers a 12000K-14000K of white light. Who wants to spend $800 on a light that will washout the colors of your plants.The aquaillumination light and the ecoxotic LED are ugly in my eyes. Kesill's design Is way nicer and cleaner looking. I even like the green band going around the rim. If anyone selling their used ones LMK, This way I can get three and finally rid myself of the Metal halides.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

http://socalaquascapers.com/
post #63 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe they think reefers are all rich?

Steve

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #64 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Algae Grower

Hi Propsi,

Any updates on this setup? i'm really interested on getting a LED setup, thinking about these or possibly a pair of par38 bulbs. thanks.
post #65 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Any updates on this setup? i'm really interested on getting a LED setup, thinking about these or possibly a pair of par38 bulbs. thanks.
Please see posts #45 & #51
post #66 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
PAR30/PAR38 (not photosynthetically active radiation) LED Edison based bulbs might do the trick for less than half the $$$. The PAR30 is rather compact.

What PAR30/PAR38 bulbs would you recommend?
post #67 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't have any first hand knowledge of any particular brands, but if you do a search in this forum, some people have already posted specific PAR30/PAR38 bulbs they've gotten and used as well as source and data links.

Steve

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #68 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

post #69 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 04:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan
Finally got around to updating the compendium and added your data. Thanks propsi!

LED Lighting Compendium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
post #70 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpalstunna View Post
rapidled has some nice looking ones

http://www.rapidled.com/7-led-par38-...ll-white-leds/
I have one over my 10g and I'm not too impressed. The corners are dark due to the spotlight. I test the par readings a while back but I don't remember the numbers. I just know that I wasn't too impressed.
post #71 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to zimbo
So I recently got a couple Kessils. I do have a friend who could get them at wholesale for me, and that's honestly the only reason i got them, $260 a piece otherwise is just ridiculous.

I don't have pics to post as of yet, figure I'd give the tank a bit. I'm honestly not into all of the measurements that you guys do. I'm a med student, and busy as heck, i just need lights that won't cost me an arm and a leg in electricity and bulbs.

My first impression is that for those of you who are considering them, go and find someone who has them and have a look before you break your bank account. I have mine over a 90 gallon rainbow fish tank. I did see them before i got them and had some concerns about how dim they were in appearance, and now that i have them, they are not as bright as they could be for display purposes. Could they replace a 150 MH in terms of growth...we'll see, but overall from an aesthetic perspective, not so much.

I find that the colors are not fantastic, I'll likely have to supplement the light over the long run. Shimmer effect is great, almost too much.

Again, in looking at this thread there's lots of number crunching. I look at its from an aesthetic perspective, and I'm probably more into how they light up fish too than a lot of folks here who are probably more focused on plant growth. Just find someone who has them if possible is all I can say for now. We'll see how things look in a month.
post #72 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Dude Where's Your CO2?

So I guess bottom line is these Kessils are a "no go" then. However I still like the design. I don't know if spotlight would work or not. There are some designs look exactly like Kessil. They can be hung from the ceiling or attached to a gooseneck.
post #73 of 94 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Algae Grower

i have two kessils on my 65g and i love the color and shimmer...very natural. however the brightness seems lacking cause it doesnt spread too well. I would need 4 to get the lighting i want. but i use two and a couple of t5ho to fill the gaps
post #74 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 08:01 AM

The new A160WE is coming soon according to Kessil site. It will be controllable intensity with knob or 0-10V with Apex or 'hopefully' the Current USA single ramp timer. They have a 90 degree adapter, which should also help position it higher above tank.
post #75 of 94 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Algae Grower

So. No one wants to pay $100 more for the A360, but wants to slam Kessil for their 150 not being strong enough? Also A360wE is controller-ready. Having done both reef and planted, I can say I feel $$ on lighting system usually key in success. Sure you can do it yourself. After time, $ in parts shipping, and ghetto-looking results waiting to set your house on fire, you probably should have left it to the lighting engineers. They really do know what they're doing and are worth the cost. (no I don't work for them)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode