First impressions on Kessil Amazon Sun - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado
A150W Amazon Sun, A Review by Albany Aquarium
Forgive me but i don't think that's a review, it's a promo. I think we will be doing the review if you know what I mean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If that's a review it's quite lame.
post #33 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
If that's a review it's quite lame.
Do you mean Albany's ? I would agree, it doesn't contain very much info. Frustrating.
I hope to come up with some PAR numbers as soon as I receive my bloody sensor. It's taking forever.
post #34 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It's fine if you turn off the sound. It's obvious that those lights had hot spots in the center the way the store had them set up. The tank didn't look too bad considering that it wasn't rectangular.

BTW, how much longer before you get your PAR sensor for this review?

Steve

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #35 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think hot spots are par for the course in this case (no pun intended). These are after all punctual light sources. I believe however that it's possible to mitigate that effect by proper lamp placement when using more than one, based on my measurements.
post #36 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by propsi View Post
Do you mean Albany's ? I would agree, it doesn't contain very much info. Frustrating.
I hope to come up with some PAR numbers as soon as I receive my bloody sensor. It's taking forever.
Sorry, yes the Albany review. Also that might be a good sales tool for growth as what a LFS would call good growth, but the look of those plants would hardly be a good sales promo here.
post #37 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
BTW, how much longer before you get your PAR sensor for this review?
Between my work commitments and final delivery of the sensor, 2 weeks I would say. I work in the film business. It's miminum 13 hours a day on set for me, which basically doesn't give me a life .
post #38 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

How much longer are you guys gonna keep beating on Albany Aquarium?

I started with crappy little plants from my LFS, but after a few months they got healthy and grew in anyway. Albany Aquarium seems to have a good selection compared to my local LFS in Southern Oregon.

Luckily that issue is now a non factor with this forum, other aquatic forums and online dealers. Same for equipment and supplies.

Quote:
Between my work commitments and final delivery of the sensor, 2 weeks I would say. I work in the film business. It's miminum 13 hours a day on set for me, which basically doesn't give me a life .
Great! I'm looking forward to seeing your results and observations.

Steve

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #39 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post

I started with crappy little plants from my LFS, but after a few months they got healthy and grew in anyway. Albany Aquarium seems to have a good selection compared to my local LFS in Southern Oregon.

Luckily that issue is now a non factor with this forum, other aquatic forums and online dealers. Same for equipment and supplies.

Great! I'm looking forward to seeing your results and observations.
No one's picking on Albany, so please don't start. Just putting things in perspective. That is NOT a review and thread goers shouldn't perceive it as so and the plants from a LFS standpoint are actually pretty good, but not from an advanced hobbyist standpoint.
post #40 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I think hot spots are par for the course in this case (no pun intended). These are after all punctual light sources. I believe however that it's possible to mitigate that effect by proper lamp placement when using more than one, based on my measurements.
Yeh, the spread doesn't look that great according to the Albany Aquarium video. Using more than 1 of these would get expensive very quickly
post #41 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Sorry people. I didn't mean to start anything about Albany Aquarium. I was just reacting to the word "review" and things seemed to grow from there. Kessil is allowed after all to promo their product as they see fit, and I have nothing to say about Albany Aquarium. Never been there. Power to them in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz
Yeh, the spread doesn't look that great according to the Albany Aquarium video. Using more than 1 of these would get expensive very quickly
The spread for one is actually quite good, but there is a prominent hotspot. That effect is mitigated in the overlapping light when using 2 or more. And yes, they are expensive when using multiples. What sold me was the discreet size of the lamp. I was looking for a lamp that would not overtake the look of the tank (as is often the case IMO).
post #42 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Any updates on this? I'm considering hanging 1 over a 36x36x14 tank for low light.
post #43 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 07:33 PM
I see LEDs

Tested the PAR yesterday, it's a very very very heavily planted tank so I couldn't get a very good reading but right at the water surface, about 8 inches from the light, right in the center, it has a PAR of about 300umols. About a foot away from the center, but still at the surface, it dropped to about 40umol.

at about 15inches below the surface, so about 23 inches total from the light, and about 10 inches away from the center, the PAR is about 50. which is good.

So this is a light that needs to be hung up pretty high off the tank to avoid the intense spot lighting, so I would think about a foot would be good.

We're setting up 3 18x18x18 cubes, 2 planted and 1 reef. the 2 planted will use the amazon sun and one will be an iwagumi scape so i'll be able to get better par readings
post #44 of 94 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome, thanks for the info. I might just go for it
post #45 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finally got my Apogee sensor. Hooked it up to a multimeter and got the following readings. Measurements were taken on a tabletop arrangement, at various heights, not submerged. I took several readings using two kessils spaced 20" apart at 18", 24", and 30" height and one series using a single lamp at 30" height. One could expect a slight improvement in performance underwater if Hoppy's assertions are correct__ he says that intensity can increase up to 10% underwater because of internal reflections. All of this means that with 2 lamps one could attain a medium amount of light at a height of 24" to 30" off the substrate, which is great for such small lamps. Take note that I would guess a 10% margin of error in my readings.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf kessil par spread 18".pdf (383.0 KB, 400 views)
File Type: pdf kessil par spread 24".pdf (383.0 KB, 350 views)
File Type: pdf kessil par spread 30".pdf (383.0 KB, 234 views)
File Type: pdf kessil par spread single 30".pdf (382.2 KB, 269 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode