The Planted Tank Forum banner

Is this lighting any good?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  shortsboy 
#1 ·
I don't know if these lighting fixtures are sufficient for plants. I can't tell what the par is for them, either. Here are some specifications:

-Fixture A:
Marineland fixture for pfes 03
120 vac
60 Hz
.18 amp

-Fixture B:
BeamsWork PowerLed 300
HQ Led x54
Input: AC 100-240V
Output: DC 12V 500mA

A is a bulb for my 3 gallon Eclipse tank.
B is an Led for my 10 gallon tank.

I'm considering carpet plants and some medium/high light ones as well.
I dose fertilizers, and plan on dosing excel.
Thank you for your help!

#2 ·
I have that same Beamworks fixture over my 10 gallon and I have no problem with java moss, java fern, dwarf hairgrass, myriophyllum (doesn't grow a lot but doesn't die), cryptocoryne petchii (pretty sure that's the one), marimo balls, and narrow leaf chain sword.

I wouldn't think it would be good enough for plants with higher light requirements but I'm no expert. I just usually find plants I like and put them in my tanks to see if they live, heh.

#4 ·
The beamswork lamp has 54 or 55 led bulbs, but they're only 0.06w a piece. The light output on that is not med/high at all. If I am recalling correctly, it produces about the same as a single t8 bulb, and as Jayme indicated (and has been my experience too) that much light on a 10g can grow low-light plants just fine. However if you want to grow more traditional carpet plants I don't feel you'll have enough light to do so. Fortunately a desk lamp with a cfl bulb can drastically up your light for cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.