The Planted Tank Forum banner

Blue light at night?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  150EH 
#1 ·
I am thinking of adding some blue light to my aquarium it's lightly planted but very unbalanced and I get some funky alge. I want to cut the amount of time the light is on but at night I want to still see my fish. So would a moon light that is used in reefs be ok to use in fresh water without adding to an algea problem?

#2 ·
You can use any color light you want at night, providing it is very low intensity. I personally just dim my LED fixtures down to nearly off at night, more like the real moon. Those blue lights look very fake to me.

#3 ·
I have 8 blue LED's in my hood and they are over a 48 inch tank, they are great but only cast a dim light that replicates moon light so you will only be able to see a little better than shadows after you eyes adjust. However they help fish spawn and look great too. If you are going to use blue light that are bright enought to see and photograph then they are way too bright.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.