The Planted Tank Forum banner

Buying low tech light fixture and bulbs

800 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bradleyv1714 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I currently have a 95G tank set up with 2 54W T5 bulbs. I want to reduce the lighting in the tank, as I am changing to a low tech setup with no CO2.

I am not sure whether to go down to T8 bulbs or consider LEDs such as the ones from TMC - AquaRay.

Whichever system I decide to go for, except for the bulbs, I will also need to buy the light fixture.

If price wasn't an issue, where would your preference go?

My biggest concern is whether T8s will still be in the picture or whether they'll be phased out. I dont want to buy a fixture unit which becomes absolete in a few years!

thanks!

#4 ·
If price is no concern, I would always go for a custom designed LED light that was made to give the PAR range I was interested in, with some ability to adjust the color temperature, and made to work with the tank I had, plus my plans to hang the light or not hang it. There is nothing else I know of that comes even close to that.

#6 ·
My biggest concern is whether T8s will still be in the picture or whether they'll be phased out. I dont want to buy a fixture unit which becomes absolete in a few years!
T8 lights are used all over the place. They'll be around for a while. At least another 10 years. Think of all the office buildings running T8 lighting... I wouldn't worry about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.