12G Long Mr. Aqua w/ 26W CFL - Too little or too much? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
You have a dilemma! Shrimp don't breed well with high CO2 in the water. And, HC doesn't grow well without high CO2 in the water. (I'm not sure what Downoi requires, other than soft water.) I think most shrimp keepers, who want their shrimp to breed, just do without any plants that have to have good CO2 to grow well.

I think you will have enough light, with 9-10 watt bulbs, to grow anything, but only if you also use good CO2. Take away the CO2, and you will limit your plant choices. Add more light without more CO2 and you will have algae problems.
Hoppy, my bf showed me these two. I wonder if you would suggest either for my tank. With these fixtures, the light will be sitting about 8"-9" on top of the HC and other plants and about 1 inch from the surface of the water.

The 36" 21W model: http://www.kensfish.com/product2928.html

The 36: 2x21W model (only using one of the bulbs): http://www.kensfish.com/product2938.html

`.. ....`...Miss My - I'm 23 - UCSD Graduate.....۩۩๑๑۩۞۩๑
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Those are T5NO lights, but with what appears to be very good reflectors. I think they will give about half of the PAR that T5HO lights, with good reflectors, give. So, even the one bulb unit, at only 8-9 inches from the substrate, would be very high light, far too much to do without CO2. To use the one bulb light, with no CO2, it would probably need to be about 16-18 inches above the substrate.

Hoppy
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Those are T5NO lights, but with what appears to be very good reflectors. I think they will give about half of the PAR that T5HO lights, with good reflectors, give. So, even the one bulb unit, at only 8-9 inches from the substrate, would be very high light, far too much to do without CO2. To use the one bulb light, with no CO2, it would probably need to be about 16-18 inches above the substrate.
Hoppy, if that is the case, I will stick with the ones I have now. Looks like they are doing a good job so far. Why fix a working system right?

I want to get your opinion on using any of those two fixtures on my bf's 20G long. It will also only be a single bulb unit, approx. 12" from the substrate. No CO2. Ground plants would either only be M. Minuta or Glosso (or both) grown in River Sand. Other plants would only be moss, ferns and easy crypts (low-tech tank). Would these lights be ok?

The 30" 14W model: http://www.kensfish.com/product2928.html

The 30": 2x14W model (only using one of the bulbs): http://www.kensfish.com/product2938.html

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Same answer - that one bulb light will probably need to be 16-18 inches from the substrate if you don't use CO2. With CO2 you would probably have the light 12 inches from the substrate and have high light.

Hoppy
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Same answer - that one bulb light will probably need to be 16-18 inches from the substrate if you don't use CO2. With CO2 you would probably have the light 12 inches from the substrate and have high light.
Thanks for your response Hoppy. So the size of the tank doesn't matter then?

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hoppy, thank you so much from giving me very beneficial advice about lighting. Now I know why you are a lighting GURU

With the two fixture at 13W each side, plants are growing very well, HC is not yellowing so its a good indication of sufficient CO2 and lighting. Most likely won't lower my lighting to 9W each because it might be too low and experience some slower plant growth or HC growing more vertical than horizontal (in which I don't want). Algae is still very minimal and we are well on our 3rd week since it had been filled.

Safe to conclude, everything is hunky dory as seems, for lighting?

Tags
fixture, high lighting, lighting, low light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode