Catalina aquarium LED's - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Anyways, I noticed the small all LED hood and got talking.
Was this the one?

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/stor...oducts_id=1633

CA doesn't seem to have much else for LED lighting yet. I'd love to see a decently-priced all-LED fixture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Planted Member

this thread makes me want to spend money.
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvert View Post
this thread makes me want to spend money.

Money I wish I had... Sounds like a project to screw around with on a small scale first...
post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
My estimations are about 0.7W/gal, but it depends on the spread, depth of the tank. 1-1.2 w/gal would be fairly high light.

This is less than 1/2 of standard old school Watt per gallon rules.
Spacing and light spread are important, we do not need the intensity the reef folks seek.

The light is somewhat yucky in color, but perhaps that will improbve and be scalable, dialable in the near future as well.

I'd love a nice spect graph that I could move and manipulate with a touch screen. Drag up and down various nm band intensities etc.

Ah....maybe when I'm old and grey.
Thanks for the approximation!
I don't have access to a par meter so an approximation using the watts/gallon rule is pretty useful, when selecting/building my unit

I've read off the internet that's it's as high as 1:4 led watts : t5ho watts to 1:2 ratio

Here's one of those articles (http://www.americanaquariumproducts....hting.html#led)
but I think they're also a manufacture or a distributor so it's kinda biased, but a pretty good read.
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Min
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Min,

Is there a writeup currently available for your project, or something similar? If not, I'd think it would benefit TPT as a whole if you made a detailed LED writeup. I would love to see it evolve!
work in progress i started a thread here
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...d-fixture.html
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tu13es View Post
Was this the one?

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/stor...oducts_id=1633

CA doesn't seem to have much else for LED lighting yet. I'd love to see a decently-priced all-LED fixture.
No, I spoke with him a few days back, he's making them and has not had time to list them etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwong2k View Post
Thanks for the approximation!
I don't have access to a par meter so an approximation using the watts/gallon rule is pretty useful, when selecting/building my unit

I've read off the internet that's it's as high as 1:4 led watts : t5ho watts to 1:2 ratio

Here's one of those articles (http://www.americanaquariumproducts....hting.html#led)
but I think they're also a manufacture or a distributor so it's kinda biased, but a pretty good read.
You have to be careful when applying W/gal or approximations, they can be way off with LED's and other different brands, and distance seems more important with LED's vs say T5.

The factor you list for a ratio above accurately describes the problem.
So if the light has a specific PAR and curve, then you can use that for estimation, but the problem is when folks assume ALL LED'S are the same, or all T5's are the same etc, and folks sure as heck sure love to do that type of assuming as much as they love chocolate.

Happens with EI/fert routines, CO2 and of course.......lighting.

So do not assume, verify.
That's why all the whacky charts, Calculators and graphs etc.......will never replace a PAR meter. I've argued this point for a good 15 years and it's held up pretty well, and I have had some pretty sharp folks nag me on this one.

The problem is that brands do not stick around for lomng, they come out with new models and new bulbs and new color temps and new reflectors, and new ballast types.

It's like hitting a moving target.
So the PAR meter can test each new one that comes along etc.
We cannot assume that every T5 and every LED model from here till the cows come home ....will be the same, even within say 20% error.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min View Post
+1 could not tell it better myself

im getting things together for another project for 200g tank, with 100 LED and 8 drivers and some aluminum square pipe looking drain pipe for heatsink
You'd only need 70 LED's, not 100.
But you can use a dimmer and then dial it down as needed.
We do not have any products that do that well with FL's.
They do in Europe, but not here. Correctly made, I do not think anyone would ever need more than 1w/gal of LED lighting.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Algae Eater

GWAPA has been working with the folks @ Catalina for a few years. Great service and people. Their products are top notch and as Tom said its nice to help out a small town USA business. Im going to have to take a look at their LED line now.
post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:50 AM
Min
Algae Grower

Quote:
You'd only need 70 LED's, not 100.
But you can use a dimmer and then dial it down as needed.
We do not have any products that do that well with FL's.
They do in Europe, but not here. Correctly made, I do not think anyone would ever need more than 1w/gal of LED lighting.
there will be 104 LED white crees and 10 blue cree, on 9 dimmable drivers total. just in case we decide to go salt water sometime look up my link earlier. ill put more pics tomorrow.
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If only there was an LED light fixture that was triangular and would fit my 54g corner! Anyone up for a custom job ?

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." — Socrates

post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
One of the most expensive parts of a LED light can be the finned heatsink. For a big light that can be almost half the minimum cost. But, I think we now know that a heatsink of that type isn't necessary, nor are cooling fans necessary, as long as you don't go for near maximum electric current thru the LEDs. At 350 - 500 mAmps, or so, they don't get hot enough that a simple piece of aluminum can't act as a good enough heatsink. Driving the LEDs at the lower current means more LEDs are needed, but it also means cheaper LEDs can be used - the expensive newer ones produce more light primarily by being able to operate at a much higher current. Having more LEDs in the light offers lots of advantages.

It also isn't necessary to have a separate DC power supply and driver - the Meanwell drivers combine those functions and work very well. You don't even need the programable Meanwell driver - most of us will adjust the driver only once, when we first set it up, and ordinary Meanwell drivers have current and output voltage adjustment screws, easy to get to by removing 4 screws and the top of the housing.
Hoppy, is this the cheaper constant current drivers you are referring to? Can they too, be dialed down using the method mentioned?
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
If only there was an LED light fixture that was triangular and would fit my 54g corner! Anyone up for a custom job ?

this will prob be a project for me in the near future... once i finish the one im building for my 29g then im building an arduino powered light controller for the "morning - day - noon - day - dusk - moonlight" effect and if i get around to it i will add changing day lengths for summer and winter, possibly with heater control also, maybe this will make for easier breeding if i can simulate a winter - spring transition...

i just read this back and realised that i have way too many projects on the go... oh well dreams are free
post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Algae Grower

http://www.marineland.com/sites/mari...=5523&mid=5528

Marineland has released their LED fixtures to Petsmart local stores.
post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Jim from Catalina called me and has built the LED's specific for planted tanks, we just need to measure the PAR and then we will post the data.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode