The Planted Tank Forum banner

20 Long shrimp tank

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  natemcnutty 
#1 ·
I have tried a high tech shrimp tank and it was just a back and fourth battle figuring out parameters.....Ive done a shrimp tank where I had some no name horrible LED on it and I let it do whatever and I had more shrimp than I knew what to do with... Id like to at least have something that made the tank look nice but still provide light to grow mosses and some other nice plants for shrimp... I'm thinking a Fugeray? The tank will have some mini Rotala, some kind of carpet... But see right there... the carpet will want high ligh...now co2... So I suppose I should just let that thought go

#3 ·
I have done "high tech:wink2:" , co2 and high lights for years and PPM fertilizing method with CRS/CBS, with no significant issues.
Not saying it`s the best scenario for serious breeders.
Shrimp are lot more adaptable than most give them credit for- stability is key
If i`m not mistaken Tom Barr has a post somewhere on his crystal shrimp tank using the EI method and Hi tech
Found it:
http://www.barrreport.com/forum/bar...ei-dosing-with-crystal-red-shrimp-over-a-year

#4 ·
I have done "high tech:wink2:" , co2 and high lights for years and PPM fertilizing method with CRS/CBS, with no significant issues.
Not saying it`s the best scenario for serious breeders.
Shrimp are lot more adaptable than most give them credit for- stability is key
If i`m not mistaken Tom Barr has a post somewhere on his crystal shrimp tank using the EI method and Hi tech
Found it:
EI dosing with Crystal Red shrimp over a year - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report
Ahh! Thank you very much... let me check this out real fast

Bump:
You can get away with high light and co2. Just check out my journal. I also have a 20 gallon high and have rcs and CRS and they're doing great. I'm running co2 and growing hc, rotala, and chain swords like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay I'm going to check it out right now

#5 ·
I'll toss my vote in on a medium/high tech CRS setup. It took a couple of months to dial things in, but it's definitely doable.

I think @charlie 1 nailed it when he said it's not the best if you are breeding them for profit or something, but I am literally moving a good 50 shrimp a month out of my 20 long which is more than enough for me :)

Running a Finnex 24/7 over a 20 long

#7 ·
You should start a new thread with as much details as possible and myself and am sure many others will try and help. Nothing to be ashamed of it's a very delicate balance required for the health and anything out of balance will show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.