Suggestions for Radion FW Lights - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Suggestions for Radion FW Lights

I have a 90 gallon planted tank with Co2 injected with two Radion Lights that is attached to the canopy with a glass top. One is the G3 and other is a G4 pro. I got the pro because I had a problem with one of the lights so they sent me the G4 pro as a replacement. For now, I am going to work with both lights and see if there is a big difference between both lights before I consider upgrading.

But I really need help with suggestions on how to set up the color spectrum for my tank. I run my lights for 8 hours with the high being 80% for 5 hours. So if you can help me, that would be great.

Last edited by lang510; 05-09-2017 at 08:29 PM. Reason: subscribe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

g3 and g4 have very different diodes..
Ecotech Radion XR 15FW versus Radion Xr 15 G4 Pro

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm sorry, I don't understand what diodes are and how it effects the differences between my lights.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Ecotech has seen fit to release a standard and pro model of the Radion LED lights, as well as a smaller XR15 model, but the XR15FW is the still the only product that the company has made specifically for the freshwater side of the aquarium hobby.

Since its inception Ecotech has maintained that Radions could be fine tuned for any spectrum. However if you had a planted tank, there was a definite sting, and loss of performance, but running the abundant blue LEDs at lower output in order to achieve that bright, warm daylight color under which planted aquariums really pop.

The Radion XR15FW Pro justifies the LED platform as a worthy freshwater planted tank aquarium light with a new LED recipe that aims to grow luscious green freshwater foliage. Compared to the standard Radion the blue diodes have been relegated to only just two spots, with the bulk of the light intensity coming from cool white and neutral white LEDs, with just a touch of green and red LEDs to round out the color spectrum.
diodes are the individual LEDs and conversely which channel they run on..
OLD (g3):
LEDs

- Neutral White: 5
- Deep Blue: 2
- Green: 2
- Hyper Red: 2
- Indigo: 1
- UV: 1

NEW (G4):
Cool White 8
Warm white 7
Red 4
Green 2
Blue 2

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the detailed explanation. So based on the g4, how would you program the color spectrum (at what percentage)? I control it by using the apex which shows the following colors:

Red
Green
Blue
RB (not sure what blue this would be, but I know it is not royal blue)
Purple (UV)
Cool White

Unfortunately, they don't have a warm white but I didn't see it under echotech's program either.

If having a warm light spectrum setting is important, I can try to manually change it but contact Apex about it.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lang510 View Post
Thank you for the detailed explanation. So based on the g4, how would you program the color spectrum (at what percentage)? I control it by using the apex which shows the following colors:

Red
Green
Blue
RB (not sure what blue this would be, but I know it is not royal blue)
Purple (UV)
Cool White

Unfortunately, they don't have a warm white but I didn't see it under echotech's program either.

If having a warm light spectrum setting is important, I can try to manually change it but contact Apex about it.
warm is only a word.. would help I suppose..
Anyways I have no idea how the Apex "maps" to the Radion channels..
But their native channels are
1= cool white
2=red
3= warm white
4= green
5= blue..
turn on one channel at a time in the apex and write down what "color" it maps to, regardless of title..

So for a sunrise effect you can ramp up 2 (red) first for a period of time. shortly start ramping up 3 (ww) then start all 3 (1,4,5) til you hit a brightness you like..
suggest doing r,g,b to not hit over 30% (at high light peak time) but adjust colors to taste.. Cool white peak at 60% , ww peak at 30%
Reverse for dusk..
If you want moonlight try ch1 at 5%, 4 at 5%.. or lower.. maybe ad a smidge of blue.. Cyan white moonlight is kind of cool..
lots of toys and lots of possibilities,,

This is one of infinite choices btw..

your whites are your main photosynthetic channels (roughly 75% of output, think they are 5W CREES)..the colors are for tone and pop..and plants like them too..

Last edited by jeffkrol; 05-09-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: edit
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks I'll give it a try.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Second method is to just start w/ whites till you find a percent balance you like..

then mess w/ the colors
Adding RGB in equal amounts = white (well if is like little diodes it will be a cool white but lets call it white for now)
Decreasing red = cool white
Decreasing blue= warm white

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So is it more or less what you like or will the plants grow better with certain colors?
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
So is it more or less what you like or will the plants grow better with certain colors?
Plants can grow "different" w/ different colors..To be honest, that is currently under investigation.
As long as one provides enough photons to match growing environment color is not so important.
If one was optimizing out vs watt input color can be important.

Secondly "we" need to not only provide plants w/ what they want but have it look the way we want it..

post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Because I have a taller tank and a glass cover I need as much light as possible. I tried my G3 at 100% for about a week but I had lots of algae on my glass so I cut back to 80%. At the same time I am also trying to figure out my nutrients needs to help cut down on the algae in my tank.

When you say "If one was optimizing out vs watt input color can be important" does it mean if you are running lights at 100% for a certain period of time?
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Because I have a taller tank and a glass cover I need as much light as possible. I tried my G3 at 100% for about a week but I had lots of algae on my glass so I cut back to 80%. At the same time I am also trying to figure out my nutrients needs to help cut down on the algae in my tank.

When you say "If one was optimizing out vs watt input color can be important" does it mean if you are running lights at 100% for a certain period of time?
no it just means if you want to run the most "efficient" photons..more of a horticulture thing..

Even dirty glass only cuts PAR by 15-ish. percent..

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I contacted Apex and apparently my program should be showing the new lighting of my g4. I am working with them to get this corrected.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I contacted Apex and apparently my program should be showing the new lighting of my g4. I am working with them to get this corrected.
good luck.. gets to techy for me..
https://youtu.be/lPH_-KL5c0s

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Algae Grower

Pairing an Apex with Radions is a sweet setup and will provide you with lots of options when it comes to configuring those lights

I have a similar setup pairing an Apex with 3 XR15w Pro G3 lights over a 220 gallon planted tank

Regarding the color spectrum - at each configuration point you establish for a light you have many spectrum settings to choose from. I'd recommend starting with 5K or 7K (I use 7K). Of course you can create your own

Since you're using both a G3 and G4 light here, however, you may have difficulty in matching intensity and spectral output since the lights have different power ratings and bulb/diode lineups

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the G4 light - it's a completely different architecture from the G3 and considerably more optimal for planted tanks and may be an upgrade path for me

Last edited by rzn7z7; 05-10-2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode