The Planted Tank Forum banner

Supplemental red light in a 9g 12"x12" (31cm) high tech

439 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  flippydoo 
#1 ·
I'm looking to amp up the appearance of the red plants in my high co2 Dutch nano, and I'm hoping someone out there has a brilliant suggestion.

Currently I have the stock 7watt 6500k Eheim led which came with the tank paired with a clip-on Finnex Planted+, and while the red leds do have some effect, I'm looking to add even more red. The problems I've come across are the dimensions and small size of the tank compared to the size and intensity of the red spectrum options out there.

I could swap the 6500k for an RGB led bulb with a clamp fixture, but the intensity of most hydroponic bulbs on the market seem too much and they are unclear in many cases how the overall color will look (I don't want to end up with an overly red/purple light effect). If someone has found a good option and can post pics, super bonus points!

I could ditch the leds completely and get a small t5 fixture but I can't find a decent option because everything is 2 feet long and fixtures are mostly big bulky hoods and bulbs are hard to find in 12" form factor.

Ideally the solution would have an easy mounting system (like a clip on), wouldn't be too much white or too much red, wouldn't overload me on light (10-15" to the substrate limits how much intensity I can have - I don't want algae so I make light the limiting factor), and won't be a $200 Kessel type deal. My budget is not tight, but I'd rather not spend a couple hundred on this dream of Tom barr levels of red-popping bulbs. I am not very experienced with diy either and I'm tool-limited.

My eternal thanks to whomever can solve this for me.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.