The Planted Tank Forum banner

Light suggestion needed: 6.2g

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  xquisit 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am planning on only growing Monte Carlo

I really need a light suggestion because my Monte Carlo seem to be browning and dying out.

I believe it is my cheap light and lack of CO2.

Equipment

Is this a cheap light? If so what is a better option?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZSKJCUQ?tag=vs-powersports-convert-amazon-20

Thanks in advance

EDIT:

Tank has been only cycling for two weeks
Water parameters:

Temp: 80*F
PH: 7.4
Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
Nitrite: 5ppm

My substrate:
Amazonia
Power sand
Additives
(All ADA)

Furthermore, I am dosing 1.5mL of Flourish Excel daily.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello everyone,

I am planning on only growing Monte Carlo

I really need a light suggestion because my Monte Carlo seem to be browning and dying out.

I believe it is my cheap light and lack of CO2.

Equipment

Is this a cheap light? If so what is a better option?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZSKJCUQ?tag=vs-powersports-convert-amazon-20

Thanks in advance

One time on this forum somebody compared plantedtanks as a three-legged stool. Lighting, co2, and nutrients. If any of the three is absent, plants will not flourish. That being said, there are numerous ways to get these factors into the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
What is the depth of the tank? Looks pretty shallow. What about two desk lamps with 6500 K bulbs? Cheap and would give you plenty of light. You could also look into the Finnex Planted Plus. If you choose to not do CO2 I would double dose Excel every day. Forget the Ray 2 unless you get Co2.

#5 ·
I've been refreshing the page like crazy hoping someone would chime in - BIG THANKS!

My tank depth is 10" and my substrate is pretty high up from the bottom of the tank.

I could go with a 16" Finnex Planted + which I was going to edit before seeing your post!

- I hope the 16" will fit my 17.5" wide tank -

(I am using a Planted+ on my 55g and I am somewhat pleased with it - but I'm probably not as pleased since my tank is 20"+ in height)

#9 ·
Git with the beamswork. Finnex is good but pricier but one thing to keep in mind is that both fixtures will need co2 if you don't want constant algae problems. If you're going low tech, a cfl or a small t8 fixture would do. Or you can try dimming the led fictures.

#10 ·
Or save money get a cheap desk lamp and spend your money on a pressurized co2 system. My monte carlo is doing fine under a 900 lumen bulb in a 6.6 gallon but I have co2. Dwarf hair grass not going fast but it's a slow one anyway. Trying a 1200 lumen 6500k bulb now to speed up the DHG carpet. Desk lamp doesn't look that bad and the bulbs are pretty cheap. So if it doesn't grow well or to much algae just switch the bulb.

Try finding a
CRI 90 bulb if possible I got a 80 one still fine.

Nice rocks btw

Attachments

#17 ·
Hit up Alan Le on here. He builds custom regulators, which can have up to about 10 needle valves on one regulator to run to 10 different tanks if needed. I was going to add 2 needles onto the regulator he built me, but decided to stick with 1 tank. If you ever need to add more you can send it back to him.

#20 ·
I decided to purchase a Finnex Planted+ 16" (and I will try to extend it out to 17.5" because the legs slide out of the light - I have the 48" version)

I also bought a DIY kit

The total for the two shipper with CA tax: $63.24

I now need to buy a few more things I believe, a bubble counter, a few bottles of soda..well I suppose I should just ask you folks what else I need to get the DIY going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.