The Planted Tank Forum banner

Finnex 24/7 SE upgrade from 24/7?

8K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  Redneck tenner 
#1 ·
I just upgraded my 30" Stingray to to 24/7 but see now that I can return that 24/7 and get the new 24/7 SE for about $15 more (Amazon has a decent return policy). Would it be worthwhile to get get this for the true red LED's?

I realize I should have researched a BIT more before even purchasing the Stingray (oops)....and then the 24/7...but...

I don't use the 24/7 mode. Just put it on MAX from about 8AM to 9-10PM. Then OFF. I do this because I'm under the assumption that the 24/7 only provides max PAR for only about 3 hours a day which doesn't seem like enough light for my plants to thrive. To which I'm realizing perhaps 660nm RED LED's might be necessary?

Would I be better off doing a normal Planted+ and have it in blue or off all night? I dose flourish Excel but still have a bit of glass green algae I need to scrub once a week.

#3 ·
4ml Excel/day and 4ml flourish 2x/week. Some root tabs in there too. If 24/7 is enough I'll leave it at that and be happy. I'm always looking for advice.

The past few days I've turn the 24/7 on at about 7PM and put it back on Max from about 7:30AM until 7PM. Does seem like a bit much now that I say it aloud haha.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I agree the SE I would get in your case. If I could swap mine I would for the better reds alone. Not a big difference but enough for me to do it if I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But correct me if I am wrong the bad thing about the SE compared to the normal is if in 24/7 mode it doesn't reset to the 6am time if powered off and on right? I know op doesn't care because used it on max but many do not like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I don't think the wavelength will make that much of a difference, and the $15 price difference didn't get you a whole lot.

I'm assuming this is at least a 29 if not a 37? Doesn't really change the answer, but that photoperiod is pretty long without real CO2 on a 29 or 20. Might need to reduce that just a bit to get rid of the algae ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Flourish Excel is barely keeping up for now. I use Max all day, under the impression 24/7 isn't enough light during the day.

Would true reds make any real difference? I don't wanna go through a return process if it's not going to make a real difference.

#23 ·
thanks. It appears bing hijacked my search bar. Google wins!

wonder how hard it would be to hack this remote. any have an older one for me to look at? the way you guys said to have sunrise and sunset with long period of max would be perfect!

I will be ordering one probably this week anyhow, would love to have the ability to set my own light timer, not color!

#24 ·
Did I totally goof on my "upgrade" from the Stingray to the Planted + 24/7? I just realized the Stingray had true 660nm red LED's. From what I can tell, I've traded true red LED's in the stingray for a higher PAR 24/7 without 660nm red's.

I'm not running C02...yet.

#27 ·
I'm on the fence about how I want to run my tank. Debating starting with a fluval C02 kit and upgrading it to a paintball setup if it gets too pricey to operate the disposable tanks. Then I'd run the light at max during the day and just OFF at night. Currently I have it off at night and put it on 24/7 when I get up in the AM. I need a timer...

I tried just setting a memory slot to a custom blue only "night mode." But the min. brightness of 10% was still too bright IMO.

*I should note that I don't have easy access to someone who will fill C02 in my area, hence the fluval idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.