The Planted Tank Forum banner

Lighting question

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  clownplanted 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 55g (20"Tall standard setup) that I turned into my first sort of successful planted tank. I have lots of plants that grew great (like my Anacharis that I have to prune every 8-10 days). But some of my plants are just not growing or doing so well. My Amazon swords have just not grown (in fact they have slowly been dying) and my wisterias are really bare and empty looking. My current setup is a 48"-60" Current LED + and I was thinking about swapping it for a Finnex planted 24/7 LED setup to get a bit more light and see if my plants will turn a bit sturdier looking. I am aiming for medium light while dosing weekly and no CO2.

Do you guys think the Finnex planted 24/7 LED is the way to go? (attached is a picture of my tank, I am sorry if I didn't communicate the information correctly, I am fairly new to the hobby and english is my 2nd language)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I am by no means an expert, but I do have the 24/7 and it will definitely be an upgrade to a Current +. If the 24/7 proves to be too little light you could use both lights in conjunction. Have you considered dosing Metricide as a Co2 supplement? It's a no go for the Anachris but would be good for the rest of your plants and will allow you to get away with more light with less fear of algae.

#5 ·
I placed about 2 root tabs under each amazon and they just didn't thrive for some reason. Before my planted tank I had a few in a 90 g fresh water setup and in there they sent runners...So I have no idea what I did back then versus now. Could it be that maybe I over fed them?

#7 ·
When I had anarchis when I first started dosing excel a lot of them did melt however they adjusted because all new growth was perfectly healthy. Just seemed to be something about it at first and them adjusting. What is your nitrate levels? One thing that especially swords really like is nitrates. You typically want between 10-30ppm of nitrates. They are heavy nitrate eaters. Also what is your phosphate level? They also like good phosphourous. I usually have between 2-5ppm. Mine are trying to grow out of my tank now. But I also run co2. Also as @awesometim1 said root tabs for sure. I think the Finnex planted 24/7 LED would be the perfect light. Is what I have and does an amazing job for my 60 gallon 24" high tank. You will not be dissapointed. If you would like to see par readings I did for it check here. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...24-7-planted-par-lux-kelvin-pur-readings.html

#8 ·
You see, its going to sound horrible but I don't know my levels all too well. I am honestly kinda winging it...what is a good test to get? I am used to the liquid test they sell at pet stores, but I don't think its accurate enough to know the exact PPM I need for the nutrients.

V

#10 ·
Thank you everyone for your responses. I ordered the lights just now and I am picking up an API kit right after work. For the ones that have this light; should I go 24/7 mode, or go for the max setting and place it on a timer? I am aiming for medium light.

#11 ·
With 24/7 mode keep in mind you get about 5 hours of usable plant light. Other than that is too low to help plants. Check my sig for the par readings of this light. You will only get good medium light par at max setting at substrate.

#16 ·
if you are aiming for Medium light you will want to supplement your plants with nutrients. As mentioned you want to do root tabs for your swords. I would recomend using a product called Thrive made by NilocG. Thrive 500ml | Premium Liquid Fertilizer | NilocG Aquatics

If you have soft water or are using RO it is highly suggested that you use a GH booster to give them the Magnesium, Potassium, and Calcium. What is your GH? If high enough you may not need GH booster. But you want at a minimum the Thrive. This will provide everything the plants need in a single solution. By you upping the lights you are forcing the plants to use more nutrients and if you do not give them what they need you will 100% get algae.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.