The Planted Tank Forum banner

Led for a 16.9 gallon cube (15.6x15.6x15.6)

6K views 64 replies 7 participants last post by  sevendust111 
#1 ·
When they become available again at marinedepot, I am going to buy an Aquamaxx 16.9 gallon cube (15.6”x15.6”x15.6”). This will be a high tech tank and I am looking for at least medium-high light. With substrate, I am looking at about 14-15” depth.

Stipulations:

1. No T5’s and no diy cfls.
2. Want to buy from a reputable place with free returns. Amazon preferred.
3. No ceiling suspension (gooseneck or brackets only)
4. Under 200$ (Kessil etc. is out unless the A80 would be enough)
5. Dimmable/adjustable preferred.

What I have found so far….

1. 1 16” Finnex Planted Plus (worried this won’t be enough light)
2. 2 12” Finnex Planted Pluses
3. 2 16” Finnex Planted Pluses (worried that I can’t dim and will be too much)
4. 1 Current Satellite Plus Pro 18-24” (actually the light is only 16.8”)
5. 1 Twinstar Led 360E 14”
6. 1 Chihiros Aquasky ADA Style E401 15.7”
7. 1 Chihiros RGB series ADA style Plant grow LED RGB30 30-45cm

Which option do you think is the best? I am leaning towards the Current Plus Pro. Any lights I might have missed?

See less See more
#15 ·
sb reef is so stinking overkill lol. might want to see if they would do a freshwater vesrion of there sprite light for a 16in cube.

for me cube tanks just scream for a single point light either on a goose neck or a pendant. just look so much better imo essestically. if kessil is out there it just leaves you to diy to hit that price point which is very doable and shouldn't be hard and could look really sweet but that's my vote for cubes atleast.

my other vote would be for a beamswork quad clipon

there 80 bucks. way more light than you would ever need on a cube that size. then you could buy a TC420 and hook the light into the controller and you would have sunset/sunrise and have complete control of timing and brightness of the light.

#29 ·
Just a thought here. If your wife prohibits you from performing DIY projects it would only be fair to charge her the difference in cost to get what you need. Just saying DIY is one of the best parts of this hobby. Next time she goes to put on make up you tell her she has to get it done at the salon. Some woman take pride in their make up and aquarium people take pride in there aquarium stuff. Probably not good advice on second thought.

Dan

#30 ·
Just a thought here. If your wife prohibits you from performing DIY projects it would only be fair to charge her the difference in cost to get what you need. Just saying DIY is one of the best parts of this hobby. Next time she goes to put on make up you tell her she has to get it done at the salon.

Dan

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#34 ·
So I think this is going to be my plan of attack....First, I am going to contact sbreef and ask them if they will make me a freshwater Sprite. It they will for 100$ or less I am probably going with that. If not, I am going to buy a single Current Plus Pro off Amazon. If I don't like it, I will have 30 days to return it. From there, I will probably go with a full sized sbreef or possibly a Kessil A160we. Jeff I know you think I should go Halo or Radion but with the gooseneck, they are both at least 100$ more than the Kessil and I can't justify that.

#38 ·
There are aquarium goosenecks for sale and a cheap PAR30 or 36 LED..
Few are very pretty though..
Shouldn't run more than $60 total for a quality bulb..
Can then change the color intensity to suit.. like the ole t tube days..
@5000k and 90 plus CRI..
https://www.earthled.com/collection...immable-wet-outdoor-rated?variant=21563585988

Only a 5" cone at the water line approx.. Problem will be finding a "wide angle" bulb..

4000k slightly warm but the violet emitter and high CRI make it look much "whiter" than you may imagine..
60 degree cone..
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/117767/LED-01513.html

5000k 60 degrees..
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/117495/LED-00867.html

#40 ·
So I emailed sbreefs (seems like a cool guy by the way) and he basically agreed that the 16” basic would be too much. He then told me he would make me a freshwater Sprite for 100$ shipped as long as I give him some feedback. Seems like a good deal. What do you guys think?

@jeffkrol @Kampo @clownplanted
Go for it..but get the spectrum.. i.e diode layout..

#43 ·
modification of the drivers to PWM is not too difficult (not too easy also) but it depends on the "flavor of the day" driver they throw in..
In the old Kessil days some even added a pwm controlled stepper motor to the dim pot shaft.. Now that was tricky.

#44 ·
@jeffkrol
@clownplanted
@Kampo

I emailed sb about the diode layout and he replied “We will scale down the 16" layout to fit the Sprite. Keeping the same spectrum.” So I think I’m good to go Jeff? Two more questions then I will stop bugging you guys haha….

1. This light would be enough if I decide to buy an Aquamaxx 24.1 cube (18x18x18) instead right?

2. I currently have a medium-low light C02 injected Aqueon 15g column (13.6"L x 13.8"W x 24.8"H ) with the distance to substrate at about 19-20” from the top of the tank. You think I could crank up the C02 and throw this baby on? Maybe even get a little carpet going?

#45 ·
#1 (6)blue/(4)teal/(2)violet/(6)red/(4)warm/(4)neutral(2)green=28
#2 (3) green/(6)10k/(8)red/(4)warm/(6)neutral = 27
that is what they want to scale down..
Opinion: Not ideal..
Really want a warm and a cool channel..
#1 (4)Blue/(2)teal/(2)violet/(6)10k = infinite
#2 (6)Warm/(2)Neutral/(6)(4 660 2 620)red =4000k approx

Overall will be 16000k-ish both channels on full
"cool" channel dimmed 50% would give you a strong 9000k

just a thought..
Skipping the green since "white" LEd's have plenty.

#50 ·
Looked at the spectrum it's based off. It's not bad. Warm side is 4700k cool side is about 22k

Mixed it's about 9k. Way I'd prolly end up running it would be 50 percent cool 100 warm. That's just looking at estimated spectrum numbers not visually though

At 100 it's a fair price. I'd go for it. It's half a normal light I believe so should be same as what I guessed.

#52 ·
So basically a 1:2 ratio? Running this thing at 100% on either channel would probably be too much. At this ratio what would the K be?

Bump:
phfffflll.. HOW are they getting a "sprite" in a fw spectrum?

The orig spectrum is not bad...but

none of the others seem to have a board you can "split"..maybe cut.. ???
disappointing..
Check w/ Reefbreeders. they do custom....
https://www.reefbreeders.com/nano-lite/
https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/nano-lite/
don't have time but w/ 6 channels ..don't see a problem getting a fw spectrum out if the nano "as is"..

Should I ask them how? What should I say? Are you going to split or cut the board?

#55 ·
after playing with the led layout on these lights I like them a lot more. real flat overall midrange to the color and a red peak and as much blue as you want without futzing too much with the rest of the spectrum as you want. heck i played with taking out the greens and the CRI is higher with them left in in most situations so can't fault them too much on the green leds even though if I was building a layout by gut feeling I'd leave them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.