The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fluorescent to led bulbs?

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  PlantedRich 
#1 ·
I've seen bulbs that fit in pre-existing fluorescent fixtures like CFl and incandescent. Although I haven't seen anyone talking about these.

Has anyone tried these, or heard anything about it and could point me in the right direction?

I have a 55gal that was originally my moms roommate's tank, which my dad aquired before my time, which I am 27yrs, and now been in my possession for last couple years.

I would like to keep the pre-existing hood, which houses a 4ft t12.

I've seen people gutting it, and replacing the internals with LEDs. Then there's also t5 conversion kits, which also replaces the guts.

The led bulb is much more simple route, and efficient. Will do the latter if have to, but would love to hear everyone's opinion even if it is scrapping the old hood.

#3 ·
I have also seen the LED's (tubes) that fit existing T8 fixtures , but the 3200 K to 4000 K spectrum for many of them makes for yellowish/orange appearance that does not appeal to my old eye's.
Would be keen to find them in 6000K to 8000K and maybe they are already available?
Has been some time since I looked for/at them.

#4 ·
People run them. Current "industry is designing them to replace t8/5's so light equiv. is one of the goals obviously. Nobody wants more expensive dimmer lights. ;)
Not quite there yet.
Need to be careful when choosing one since 1)most are based for t8/5 and 2)there are some that use the ballast, some that don't..
Gutting the hood and wiring in a led strip is fairly easy..
Getting a retrofit and replacing the tombstones is silly..
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/192080/PLT-10737.html
Direct wire installation replaces F40T12 tubes
Pretty sure it wil be more light than your t12 tube..
I have also seen the LED's (tubes) that fit existing T8 fixtures , but the 3200 K to 4000 K spectrum for many of them makes for yellowish/orange appearance that does not appeal to my old eye's.
Would be keen to find them in 6000K to 8000K and maybe they are already available?
Has been some time since I looked for/at them.
6500k is fairly easy to find. higher not so much
5000k is real easy.. ;)
http://www.topbulb.com/standard-27w...t-compatible?gclid=CNr13uup_tICFQgyaQodF7UByA
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/177113/KOBI-K6P3.html

#5 ·
I find value in doing some rework to fit in bulb holders. That gives me a great deal of flexibility in my choice of bulbs as they simply screw into the holders.
This is one type which I'm finding I like as they come in a wide ranges of sizes and colors. Shopping the auction sites?
E27 G24 3528 5050 SMD LED Spot Corn Light downlight Bulb Lamp Warm Day White

I do lots of wood so cutting and fitting a wooden mount for the bulb holders and fitting it into the existing hood works for me. I like the thought that if I miss on how much is needed. it is only the bulb cost that is lost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.