The Planted Tank Forum banner

best light for a 120 gallon tall.

9K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  jeffkrol 
#1 ·
Hi i am new to planted tanks and i would like to find a light for my 120 gallon tall tank that has glass lids/canopies measurements are 60"x18"×26" I currently have an led light with the following specs:

Includes 96 LEDs

• 87x 10000K cool white

• 9x 460nm Actinic Blue

• Lumen :5760

• Super energy efficient 0.50 watt LEDs
is that good?

#5 ·
We need more info. Low tech vs high tech. What kind of plants are you trying to grow? Are you willing to inject CO2? <br />
<br />
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
<br />
<br />
tank is low tech and i Have the following plants: <br />
Water sprite <br />
Jungle val <br />
St elmo sword <br />
Amazon sword <br />
java fern <br />
afzelii <br />
Hornwort <br />
Dwarf Sag <br />
Monte Carlo <br />
Red tiger lotus<br />
I want to go the Co2 way but i don't know anything about Co2

#3 ·
Do you like the color?
par is like 30 at the bed.
front/back coverage is a bit poor near the top. Not an issue for some.
adding a second fixture might be beneficial depending on target output as mentioned above.

#4 ·
Do you like the color?

par is like 30 at the bed.

front/back coverage is a bit poor near the top. Not an issue for some.

adding a second fixture might be beneficial depending on target output as mentioned above.

Pretty amazing you can figure that out with the light specs like that. You don't know lights at all do you LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Others may disagree with me but I feel that Actinic lights are a complete waste of money when it comes to plants. What you need is 6500k to 7000k white lights and some 660nm Red lights to grow plants. Half watt LEDs are fine for a low tech tank, especially considering your tanks height. Also, since your tank is 18 inches deep, you may need two fixtures for proper coverage, as mentioned by illbethejudge.

#8 ·
The one you have is 10,000k with zero reds. While it MAY keep plants alive, it won't let them thrive, even in low tech conditions. I stand by my original suggestion of getting a fixture that provides 6,500 to 7,000 Kelvin and includes some 660nm Red LEDs.

#15 ·
Not enough reds in my opinion and too many useless blues. However, I know that finding a 60 inch light in my specifications is difficult. You can get away with using a fixture with brackets that extend to 60 inches, but you won't get the proper coverage for your tank. I'm going to do some research for you...give me a moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.