40 Breeder Lighting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

40 Breeder Lighting

I know we get a lot of questions about lighting a 40 breeder, so if this has been answered, please just direct me to it! My searching skills aren't turning up anything right now.

We are currently running a Planted + 24/7 in 24/7 mode on our 40 breeder. Everything is doing very well.

Do anyone know, if we were to add a second 24/7, also running in 24/7 mode, would this push us into the realm of needing CO2?

Plant wise we have swords, crypts, rotala, ludwigia, and anubius.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:30 PM
Algae Grower

Your running a low-tech. You should be fine with just 1 imo
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I know we are running low tech now, I'm wondering if two lights would push us into the high range where we would need CO2.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 03:24 PM
Algae Grower

I think you would need co2 because without it there would not be much point on getting that much light if your plants don't have enough co2 to be able to use the amount of light your giving them. What are you wanting a second one for? Faster growth? Better light spread?

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:51 PM
Algae Grower

Yeah I think it would be easier to answer if we knew why you wanted to upgrade. If your plants are growing well now without CO2 I wouldn't fix what isn't broken.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

We are looking at adding a second light for better light spread. The one is currently over the back half of the tank. Everything grows well. There's some staghorn (I think) algae on a few plants, but nothing major.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:40 PM
Algae Grower

If you add another one then you'll be in high light so you'll definitely need more co2 and fertilizer dosing. If you want to stay low tech and have good light spread then 2 finnex stingrays or 2 beamswork EA 6500k .5W would work great.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROMLaar View Post
If you add another one then you'll be in high light so you'll definitely need more co2 and fertilizer dosing. If you want to stay low tech and have good light spread then 2 finnex stingrays or 2 beamswork EA 6500k .5W would work great.

Thank you! That's what I thought but wanted confirmation. We'll hold off on another light for now. Maybe if we decide to add CO2 in the future...

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:45 AM
Algae Grower

Sounds like a good idea!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

you need to understand what higher light would REALLY do for you... classic mistake is to make the assumption that once you enter the realm of high light all you need is CO2 and all will be well.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Algae Grower

I had my finnex planted plus 36" suspended 7" above the water surface and had no growth issues on my 40b.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:05 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent245 View Post
I had my finnex planted plus 36" suspended 7" above the water surface and had no growth issues on my 40b.

That's always a good thing to try suspending the light more to get better spread, but par will go down.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
you need to understand what higher light would REALLY do for you... classic mistake is to make the assumption that once you enter the realm of high light all you need is CO2 and all will be well.

Can you expand on this? I assume you mean that higher light means you need CO2 and ferts all balanced. We've got lights and ferts pretty well balanced right now, that's why I was wondering what would happen CO2-wise if we added more light.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 04:11 PM
Algae Grower

I always hate thinking that you need to "balance" the tank to get no algae, if that was the case no one would be doing EI method because for that you put more ferts in the tank than the plants can use a day and that throws off the whole "balancing" thing. Lots of ferts don't CAUSE algae but they help it grow, what CAUSES algae is ammonia and light and that's what triggers spores. When you add high light without co2 the plants won't be able to make use of that much light without more ferts and co2 and for the co2 I'd just try and keep the co2 at 20-30 ppm using a drop checked to make sure your in the right range.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode