Finnex 24/7 Planted + SE too much light for 20L? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By caprig
  • 1 Post By Watercrayfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finnex 24/7 Planted + SE too much light for 20L?

I'm choosing between a 20L and a 29 for my next tank. I have read a lot of threads that the 20L is the way to go so I was set on that until I researched lighting and am set on a 30 inch Finnex 24/7. threads on if this is too much light for a 20L are not as easy to get a general consensus on and the SE is so new I'm not sure there is a general opinion. Am I better off with a 29 for the depth or will a 20L be ok. I will be using Ferts and CO2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 12:50 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attackturtle View Post
I'm choosing between a 20L and a 29 for my next tank. I have read a lot of threads that the 20L is the way to go so I was set on that until I researched lighting and am set on a 30 inch Finnex 24/7. threads on if this is too much light for a 20L are not as easy to get a general consensus on and the SE is so new I'm not sure there is a general opinion. Am I better off with a 29 for the depth or will a 20L be ok. I will be using Ferts and CO2.
One of my tanks is a 20L and I have a Finnex Planted + Fugeray which I am told by Finnex is the same lighting capacity as the 24/7 (without the bells and whistles, of course). I have run that light on this tank almost 2 years now.

The one thing I highly recommend you do with a 20 L if you want to go that way is to double filter. I had 2 filters but put them on one end (too lazy to cut the back out on the opposite end of the cover) and had nothing but trouble. Moving it to the opposite end (cut another spot out for the filter near the other corner) made things TONS better. Fish are happier too.

The 20 L takes a bit longer to get over that cloudy phase too.

However, it is more fun to watch the fish swim and once I moved the filter to the opposite corner, things picked up greatly. I have two 50 aquaclear filters (I changed up one of the impellers to the 70gallon impeller)- one on each end of the back and they are full streaming. I also have a bubble stone in the middle. The fish are doing great in there, and although the Planted + light is a bit strong, if you have the 24/7 I bet it would be even better b/c you are not having constant high light on it.

As long as I do weekly partial water changes (25-50%) the tank does very well. My plants are growing great too. My java moss grows really fast too. A bit of BBA but with the shorter light span of the 24/7 at full light, I think that would take care of that too.

I hope that helps a little bit anyway. I have a 29 too and like them both but for the smaller fish I prefer the 20L because they can swim back and forth and it still looks like a nice big tank. My 29 I have rainbow fish who are moving eventually to a bigger tank, but they needed at least the 29 for now.

Of course, it depends on what fish you plan on putting in there as well.
Attackturtle likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't think 24/7 and planted+ are of same par even in Max mode.

SE can be dimmed and with CO2 it would be perfect. And don't even think about using 24/7 mode with CO2. I have 20" planted+ over my tank which is not sufficient when I introduced CO2(which was not part of the plan initially). I am supplementing with another 10w led now.

If I get a second chance to redo this I would really go with Fluval 2.0 for the warranty and the quality.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Attackturtle likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprig View Post
One of my tanks is a 20L and I have a Finnex Planted + Fugeray which I am told by Finnex is the same lighting capacity as the 24/7 (without the bells and whistles, of course). I have run that light on this tank almost 2 years now.

The one thing I highly recommend you do with a 20 L if you want to go that way is to double filter. I had 2 filters but put them on one end (too lazy to cut the back out on the opposite end of the cover) and had nothing but trouble. Moving it to the opposite end (cut another spot out for the filter near the other corner) made things TONS better. Fish are happier too.

The 20 L takes a bit longer to get over that cloudy phase too.

However, it is more fun to watch the fish swim and once I moved the filter to the opposite corner, things picked up greatly. I have two 50 aquaclear filters (I changed up one of the impellers to the 70gallon impeller)- one on each end of the back and they are full streaming. I also have a bubble stone in the middle. The fish are doing great in there, and although the Planted + light is a bit strong, if you have the 24/7 I bet it would be even better b/c you are not having constant high light on it.

As long as I do weekly partial water changes (25-50%) the tank does very well. My plants are growing great too. My java moss grows really fast too. A bit of BBA but with the shorter light span of the 24/7 at full light, I think that would take care of that too.
Thanks. I have an old aquaclear 500 I was planing on using with a powerhead or 2 to get some circulation. I wonder if it is possible to split an ehiem cannister intake so that I can put an intake on each side.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 01:53 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercrayfish View Post
I don't think 24/7 and planted+ are of same par even in Max mode.

SE can be dimmed and with CO2 it would be perfect. And don't even think about using 24/7 mode with CO2. I have 20" planted+ over my tank which is not sufficient when I introduced CO2(which was not part of the plan initially). I am supplementing with another 10w led now.

If I get a second chance to redo this I would really go with Fluval 2.0 for the warranty and the quality.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
That is what I was wondering. I just did some more research and saw a video where one person gauged par for the planted 24/7 at high 50s and a planted + fugeray at only 20s.

So, I am not understanding this yet. I am not sure how different the depths were in both tanks they did but they did not look TOO far from each other in inches.

Also, what size tank are you using the planted + 20inch over? I have a 20L and a 30" planted + fugeray and it is VERY bright.

I was told by someone at Finnex that the 24/7 and the planted + fugeray were the same intensity light pretty much.

Sometimes it is so confusing!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attackturtle View Post
Thanks. I have an old aquaclear 500 I was planing on using with a powerhead or 2 to get some circulation. I wonder if it is possible to split an ehiem cannister intake so that I can put an intake on each side.
Circulation is a big must with the long tanks. I think that sounds like a pretty good plan. I wonder if you could split the two also. That is an idea!

I put an internal canister in my 20L to test it out (needed polishing) and the current was pretty strong, but the fish that were not shell shocked loved the waves it made. LOL

After I tested it, I figured out it was defective and missing entire parts. HAHA

The 2nd one I tested was much more manageable but they still had a lot of movement in the water, just not the kind that resembles an aquatic version of the Wizard of Oz.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have the 24" Planted+ over 20Long (I mentioned 20" Fixture before my bad).

I am not sure on the PAR for SE, it could be comparable or more than Planted+. The red 660nm LED are which its going to make it a true plant fixture which the old model was missing.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm running the 30" 24/7 in 24/7 mode on my 20 long with 15ppm CO2 starting at 9 am and ending at 4 pm. I do have some floating plants and quite a few stems, but I'm not sure if that is why I don't have much algae or if it just doesn't produce enough light in 24/7 mode.

I am running a QuietFlow 30 about 1/3 the way down on the back and a QuietFlow 20 another 1/3 of the way down. They were free filters and have done the job just fine, but I do have to inject a bit more CO2 to compensate for a HOB...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode