Help lighting my 125g - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By jeffkrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Help lighting my 125g

Hello
I need some ideas on lighting for my 125 gallon system. I want to do a s. Repens carpet with blyxa as the midground plant and rotala indicated for back ground(in a small area behind the drift wood. In the past I've used odyssea t5 fixtures and some home depot diamond plate shop lights t8s. Both do work but I'd like to have higher light. There will be pressurized co2 injection.

What are my best options to light this new planted scape for my 125g?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Algae Grower

I just got a 125 and had the same question, so I'm curious to see the suggestions as well. Doesn't seem to be an easy tank to light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:34 PM
Algae Grower

I would make my own using 12v car interior lights and an old computer power supply. Power supply is free if you have an old computer. The lights can be found on ebay, amazon, superbrightleds, etc.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'd prefer plug and Play though at the moment im leaning towards t5s. a 48" 4 bulb and a 24" 4 bulb from amazon. I want high light capable of growing carpet plants.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:03 AM

I used to have a 125 planted discus tank with CO2. Back then I used a Current Satellite T5HO unit (I can't remember the model) and had okay results. If you're on a budget the new Current Freshwater LED+ Pro products look pretty cool. You may consider two of the 48/60 inch units; they run between $175-$250 online.

If price is no object go with Kessil. I now have a 75g hi-tech tank with two Kessil A160WE Tuna Suns and I am thinking about adding another or one of the new A80s to fill in the gaps. For a 125 I would suggest three of the A160WE Tuna Sun ($239 each) or if you really want to get that S. Repens carpet growing, the A360WE Tuna Sun instead, but three will set you back about $1200. Plus you'll want the Kessil spectral control module ($99) if you're not using an Apex.

I will never go back to fluorescent after having LED. Changing bulbs every 6-12 months to keep the quality of light up got old (and expensive) really fast.

I would love to to hear other suggestions; especially on the lesser expensive end as I know that most people are not willing to spend the amount needed for Kessils.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoore81 View Post
I used to have a 125 planted discus tank with CO2. Back then I used a Current Satellite T5HO unit (I can't remember the model) and had okay results. If you're on a budget the new Current Freshwater LED+ Pro products look pretty cool. You may consider two of the 48/60 inch units; they run between $175-$250 online.

If price is no object go with Kessil. I now have a 75g hi-tech tank with two Kessil A160WE Tuna Suns and I am thinking about adding another or one of the new A80s to fill in the gaps. For a 125 I would suggest three of the A160WE Tuna Sun ($239 each) or if you really want to get that S. Repens carpet growing, the A360WE Tuna Sun instead, but three will set you back about $1200. Plus you'll want the Kessil spectral control module ($99) if you're not using an Apex.

I will never go back to fluorescent after having LED. Changing bulbs every 6-12 months to keep the quality of light up got old (and expensive) really fast.

I would love to to hear other suggestions; especially on the lesser expensive end as I know that most people are not willing to spend the amount needed for Kessils.
Thanks for your post. Hey yeah really want a light bright enough to grow any carpet I want. I've wanted kessils for years while keeping reef tanks, The price is a bit out of my my budget though. I have mixed feelings about leds for my aquariums at the moment. I've used T5HO fixtures for years with great success. I've tried leds on my reef but had better success with T5's. I've tried leds on my planted systems as well and have had success with anubias and Java moss(cuz those are the only plants I've grown under them). I feel more partial to the T5's for some reason.

How is the shadowing with the kessils?
I fear i would end up buying 3 a160s and then have to suppliment with, like you said a couple a80s or a couple t5s In order to get the spread right.
What about a hybrid setup?
Have you seen anyone in the planted aquarium community using them?
Like possibly a Bulb in the front with leds in the middle and another Bulb in the back?

And then there is still the issue of trying to cover a 6' tank with an even spread...

I do have the option to set this aquascape in my 75g. It would be way easier to light!

What should I do?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Beamswork makes plenty of lights in the 72" size..
EVO Quad 72" Timer 6500K LED Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant Tetra Discus 96x 3W

Quote:
Includes 96 LEDs
13000 Lumen
3 watt LEDs
96x 6500K
Timer ready. Fixture pre-wired for add on timer module
Timer module is not included
$280..

Or 2 ELF's..
Quote:
622 ELF 1800 6500K LED Pent 72" 0.50W Freshwater Plant Tetra Discus 280x
Brackets add 1.25" in height
Includes 280 LEDs
12000 Lumen
Super energy efficient 0.50 watt LEDs
280x 6500K LEDs

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Beamswork makes plenty of lights in the 72" size..
EVO Quad 72" Timer 6500K LED Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant Tetra Discus 96x 3W

$280..

Or 2 ELF's..
They sound like good options and I've used one of the pent lights over a 20 long. Very bright but that shallow tank.

Do you have any experience or know of anyone with experience with this tight growing high light carpet plants?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalan850 View Post
They sound like good options and I've used one of the pent lights over a 20 long. Very bright but that shallow tank.

Do you have any experience or know of anyone with experience with this tight growing high light carpet plants?

There are some here that have.. I build my own so not tied to a manuf..

Sample PAR ( 2 duos= 1 quad) 130PAR @ 17"

Others:
kalan850 and kmoore81 like this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
There are some here that have.. I build my own so not tied to a manuf..

Sample PAR ( 2 duos= 1 quad) 130PAR @ 17"

Others:
Very good info and suggestion. I am going to look into it for sure

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalan850 View Post
Thanks for your post. Hey yeah really want a light bright enough to grow any carpet I want. I've wanted kessils for years while keeping reef tanks, The price is a bit out of my my budget though. I have mixed feelings about leds for my aquariums at the moment. I've used T5HO fixtures for years with great success. I've tried leds on my reef but had better success with T5's. I've tried leds on my planted systems as well and have had success with anubias and Java moss(cuz those are the only plants I've grown under them). I feel more partial to the T5's for some reason.

How is the shadowing with the kessils?
I fear i would end up buying 3 a160s and then have to suppliment with, like you said a couple a80s or a couple t5s In order to get the spread right.
What about a hybrid setup?
Have you seen anyone in the planted aquarium community using them?
Like possibly a Bulb in the front with leds in the middle and another Bulb in the back?

And then there is still the issue of trying to cover a 6' tank with an even spread...

I do have the option to set this aquascape in my 75g. It would be way easier to light!

What should I do?

You certainly could do a mixture, but I think you would be surprised by the spread and penetration of good LED light fixtures; especially the Kessils.

Below is a picture of my tank (not the best but you'll get the point) with two Kessil A160WE Tuna Suns at 90% output @ approximately 7050K (35% between 6000K and 9000K). They are located approximately 7" off the water surface (in a canopy but no glass tops).

I've been making some plant changes so my cyperus and crypts look a little haggard. The Java Ferns are splendid however. I just trimmed the eleocharis 'mini' carpet almost down to the substrate, but normally it has about 2" of height. It's starting to fill in nicely. I'm thinking about adding some micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' to the center portion to mix up the carpet and create a definition to the "path" down the middle. BUT I think I am going to need another light to fill in the gap....but I digress...

This is a 48" wide tank, so your 60" (if you went the Kessil route) would most definitely need at least three A160s and maybe something else to supplement. I think three A360s would be enough. There are some interesting ideas from the others in the post here and I will have to do some digging into those products to see the differences.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170111_181054.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	709658  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode