Review: SnakeEyes Quad LED 6500K 30" lights with Timers (VERY similar to Beamswork) - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By justin-branam

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Post Review: SnakeEyes Quad LED 6500K 30" lights with Timers (VERY similar to Beamswork)

My setup is a 220 gallon planted tank. It is 72" long, 24" wide, and 30" tall. I have had two 36" Finnex Planted+ 24/7 LED lights on the tank since I set it up about 9 months ago. I purchased these as "used" (meaning the packaging was damaged, but brand new otherwise) on Amazon for $100.01 each (a total of $200.02). These have grown some lower light plants without any issues. I wanted to upgrade in order to keep some mid to high light plants, with the addition of adding a CO2 system.

After lots of looking and research, I decided to go with SnakeEyes LED lights. These are almost identical to the Beamswork LED's but for the same price, you also get cooling fans included. I opted to purchase two of the 30" models which have 48 3W LEDs each. These normally sell for $129 each. There was a Christmas special on them through "topdogsellers" on ebay, had an additional 5% off if you bought two, and I decided to make an offer a few dollars less. My offer of $140 for two lights was accepted! I also purchased two of the timers for $15.50 each ($30.30 total).

ebay link to lights (Last I checked, the older style is still pictured. See below for details): [Ebay Link Removed] Quad 30" Timer 6500K LED Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant 48x 3W 75 cm | eBay[/url]

ebay link to timers: [Ebay Link Removed] Module for Beamswork EVO Quad Odyssea SnakeEye LED Aquarium Light Fixture | eBay[/url]

I received the lights and noticed they were slightly different than what was pictured. Each light was shown to have one power plug, one on/off switch, and one timer port. The ones I received each had two power plugs, two on/off switches, and two timer ports. After contacting the seller, it was determined that the manufacturer had changed the design of the lights without telling anyone. The downside was I needed twice as many plugs in my power strip, and I now needed two additional timers. I purchased two more for another $30.30. The upside, is I could now program each of the four rows to come on one hour apart, and then go off one hour apart. This would help simulate a normal day, and my Finnex lights would finish out the sunrise, sunset, and moonlight looks.

As far as the lights go, I am extremely impressed with the light output. Although I was thrown off by needing the additional timers, I really like the ability to have a much more custom light program. The fans were included with the lights (two per light) and help keep the lights quite a bit cooler. I can definitely hear them running, but I also added a digital timer for them, so they come on and go off with the lights. No need running them at night when the lights are off. The lights also came with plastic legs, which sit the lights at about 4 inches of height. The timers are easy to program, but you have to know exactly what you are doing. Since I was running four different times (for each of the four rows), I took the time to write down exactly when I wanted each row to come on and go off. This made it much easier to program them, as you have to do it within a few seconds, of the timer automatically goes to the next setting.

All in all I spent $200.60 for the two lights and four timers, plus another $15 for a digital timer to run the cooling fans, for a grand total of about $215. All in all I am completely satisfied with my purchase, and am very satisfied with the amount of lighting I was able to add for almost the same price as my Finnex lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Comparrison.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	708690  

Name:	20170108_164142.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	708698  

Name:	20170108_164048.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	708706  

Name:	20170108_164158.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	708714  

Chadmanfoo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode