The Planted Tank Forum banner

Glass top or no glass top

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  jeffkrol 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to set up my 75g planted tank I just purchased 2 Kessil A160wE Tuna Sun lights. I was under the impression that glass tops filtered the lights too much so I was thinking of not having any too at all Does anyone have any advice or remarks on this subject.

#6 ·
Would not fret over 10 to 20 % loss of PAR unless lighting was already on low side.
I removed glass top's from tank's only cause I got tired of cleaning them each week of hard water deposit's.
Bought hardware cloth and cut it to fit my tank's holding jumper's (swordtail's,rainbow's)
Without glass top's,I lose about three gal of water by week's end to evaporation but is time for water change anyway.

#7 ·
I have 3/4 of my tank covered with glass. I've still had 2 different shrimp show up on my floor. So for me a top is needed.

However, without a glass top I was able to carpet glossostigma elatinoides and with a glass top it grows straight up. It could be something else, but the change in growth coincides with me adding glass. I'm wondering if thinner glass would help.

Since evaporation is "pure" water and tap water isn't, replacing evaporated water with tap water is going to result in some sort of build up, no? Another reason in support of a glass top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.