The Planted Tank Forum banner

Balancing light on a new tank

402 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Waters 
#1 ·
I am nearing the end of my initial cycle and am lost as to the photo period and intensity I should be using at this stage. I am running CO2 with a reactor in a moderately planted 65 gallon with two 24/7 Finnex lights as well a one FugeRay Planted+. My plan is to put them all on a timer, with the FugeRay not coming on until the max photo period of the 24/7s are ending for a total of about 2 hours to extend the length of max light that the 24/7s provide. The 24/7s will shut off around 8 at night. I started getting a ton of hair algae due to the strength of the light and the inability to have any sort of CUC due to high levels of nitrites. I reduced the lighting to about 4 hours a day and cranked up the CO2 until the tank is stabilized, but now the plants appear to be suffering (brown spots). Should I increase the lighting and just manually deal with the algae at this point? Here is a picture a couple of days prior to reducing the light for reference.........

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.