The Planted Tank Forum banner

New 40G Breeder Tank Lighting

6K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Watercrayfish 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just bought a 40 gallon breeder tank from a Petsmart Flashsale yesterday and am now looking into what type of lighting to put on it. The tank is about 36Lx18Wx17H

I plan to have a low to medium tech tank (I am willing to dose with Excel or something similar, with an Ecocomplete substrate). What type of lighting/how much will be enough? I have some money on a giftcard from Petsmart that I would like to use, but I'm sure I can find other uses for it if I choose a lighting system they don't have.

Ideally, I would like to be able to put the lighting directly on a glass canopy. I saw this on Petsmart website, not sure if it would work well enough for plants:
Aqueon® LED Aquarium Light | Lights | PetSmart

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I took advantage of that sale as well and got 2 new 40Bs. I picked up some Beamswork Razr LEDs on Ebay(topdogseller) in the 36" 6500K I think they are 1800lumens with some actinic night lights. Honestly I feel that 1 fixture in the center of the tank is adequate for lowtech....mine are growing Vals and Crypts just fine so heck for a sub $30 light with a nice color I cannot complain. People either love or hate Beamswork; I have another fixture on a different tank and it has been going strong for over a year so for the price you really cant complain.

#4 ·
I have 40 breeder with finnex stingray. If I want medium I would go the Fluval Plant 2.0 with 24-34 inch(yes its smaller in lenght and you save $50), but for glass top that is the best and there is 120degree light disperison which no other light can provide for the cost. 3 years warranty and that is crazy waterproof.

I cant recall how many time my finnex planted+ took a dip from the glass lid. I am thinking to buy one for my tank but the stingray is doing a very good job with plant selections I have and no need to supplement CO2.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.