The Planted Tank Forum banner

20gal long LED lighting recommendations

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  longgonedaddy 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some LED recommendations for my 20 gallon long so that I can grow simple easy plants like moss, java ferns, anubias and crypts. Nothing more.

The aquarium currently has a 24" 20w T8 which barely keeps moss alive. It only spans about 80% of the length of the aquarium and leaves lots of shaded areas. I'd really like to retrofit the hood but that's not completely necessary.

Any suggestions?

#4 ·
Since posting last I have learned about the planted+ 24/7. I really really like that feature, but I don't want to end up needing co2 or lots of dosing. Would the 24/7 planted+ be too intense for my tank at peak hours on the 24/7 cycle?

#5 · (Edited)
I am experimenting with that right now actually (running in 24/7 mode over my 20 Long). I'm about a month in, and while algae has definitely been somewhat of an issue, I'm finding the plant growth and colors (tops of L. Sessiliflora are turning red and stems of L. hippuridoides are turning purple!) are worth dealing with algae for right now. I did hook up my DIY CO2 at 1bp4s to this tank last week, and I'm waiting to see if that helps curb things just a bit.

Ultimately, I think I'll end up with some red root floaters or something to lessen the light to keep the 24/7 mode going. The colors really are enjoyable, and I just wish they had thought about the ability to dim the 24/7 mode when they released it.

Tapatalk munched the quality, but this was just a couple of weeks into the new lights. You can see the color changing on some of the leaves, and it's even better now.

#8 ·
How about the Current USA Satellite Freshwater and the Satellite Plus Freshwater. I wonder if the Satellite will be enough or if the Satellite Plus will be too much?

The reason I'm considering this is because they are available locally and very close price point considering shipping and currency conversion when ordering a Finnex.

#9 ·
The 24/7 has a dimming option so having too much light is a non issue. Check one of the recent journals and you will find someone using the 24/7 at 50% for lower light. I have the 24/7 on my high tech 20L and I have it set to max. Soon this tank is going to become a medium low light tank with excel only and I plan to run it at 40% for 8 hours a day. The 24/7 is 30 bucks more than the stingray but gives you the option to move into higher light if you ever wanted to. To me it's a no brainer, get the 24/7

#12 ·
Can the 24/7 be dimmed while using the 24/7 feature? Or do you have to manually set and dim the light?

You could always turn the intensity down on the sat+.
Yes but it's a little more than twice as much as the sat so if the sat is strong enough for my needs I'd rather go that route. My main goal is to avoid a light level that will require regular fertilization and the need for CO2, but still be able to grow low light plants.

I love current lights I have the plus pro 24 36 and 48. I also have the regular plus versions great light that have lasted along time. I even put one in my backyard to light up a gazebo while I figured out a better idea. It hung by its own wires wrapped around a 2x4 it was in direct sunlight at least half the year because it slipped and I was too busy to fix it. I just took it down and put it on a tank and it still works! No build quality issues like finnex has had (I have owned them too) Also I live in palm springs CA. The sun is. Our joke here. Sorry to gloss but I'm very impressed with the durability. If you have too much light just throw in some floaters like dwarf water lettuce

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Cheers this is part of why I am starting to look into the current option. The ease of warranty and return at a LFS.

What size tanks and setups you got the plus pro's on?

I looked for par data on the current and current plus pro and all it says on the website is 15+ @12" on the sat and 35+ @12" on the sat+. I'm not even sure what to think of those specs. 15+? what does that mean? maybe 15 maybe 24 maybe 30? and the website says the sat can grow low light plants but is 15 par enough? I thought somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 was preferred for low tech tanks.

#11 ·
I love current lights I have the plus pro 24 36 and 48. I also have the regular plus versions great light that have lasted along time. I even put one in my backyard to light up a gazebo while I figured out a better idea. It hung by its own wires wrapped around a 2x4 it was in direct sunlight at least half the year because it slipped and I was too busy to fix it. I just took it down and put it on a tank and it still works! No build quality issues like finnex has had (I have owned them too) Also I live in palm springs CA. The sun is. Our joke here. Sorry to gloss but I'm very impressed with the durability. If you have too much light just throw in some floaters like dwarf water lettuce

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#15 ·
If you're looking for a lowlight option, I'll sell you my old marineland doublebright. I had it on my 20 long, and it grew moss, crypts, chain swords, kleiner bar swords, bacopa, Vesuvius swords, mermaid weed and probably others I can't remember quite well.

Here's a pic down the long side. Not the best pic, but it will give a good idea of how well it grew.

Minimal ferts, and it was was a shrimp tank before I put the cardinals in. So not too much for the plants other than a few drops of flourish once a week.

#16 ·
Very kind of you to offer but with international shipping it probably wouldn't be worth it for either of us.

I looked at the Fluval 2.0 and while it looks like a great light it's definitely overkill for my needs. over 100 par @12".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.