The Planted Tank Forum banner

Found a nice Fluval Spec light upgrade/replacement...

9K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  The Big Buddha 
#1 · (Edited)
I have some of the original specs with the hockey puck shaped LED.
They always have had a few LEDs burn out, warranty claim, same thing with the replacement after a while.

I decided to give the Chihiros A series 20cm LED from the bay a try. I ordered the optional mounting bracket to use on the back. I used the stock mounting bracket on the front of the the light and I think it looks pretty slick. I cut a small piece of vinyl floor tile for over the back of the filter compartment to stop algae from growing on the sponge and in the compartment. They state the color temp is about 8000k. It seems very white, but the plants didn't complain.

Big bonus is the light is adjustable for dimming purposes. It seems crazy bright, but that can be dimmed down by the included inline dimmer. I ran it a week at home before sending it to the girlfriend's tank at her work. In the week at home, I noticed a definite improvement on the spec at home compared to the stock puck lighting. My riccia really grew much better. I will probably order another.

Light cost me 29.98$ Plus 4.67$ for the bracket. Free shipping.
Surprisingly, received it in 2.5 weeks, with a tracking number.

My short term review : definetly recommend it. Looks like it came with the tank. Adjustable which is very important to me. The light does run a little hot on full power, but I doubt many will run that high, even with co2. Unfortunately I don't have a par meter to test the par.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.