The Planted Tank Forum banner

Anyone Grown Plants with this light?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  dcutl002 
#1 ·
I have a 29 gallon standard Marineland Tank (18" deep before substrate) that I'm looking to add plants to. I don't have a ton of money to spend on lights and came across this light:

Beamswork EA Timer FSPEC LED Aquarium Light Freshwwater Plant Extendable

Amazon has it listed: http://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-Timer-Aquarium-Freshwwater-Extendable/dp/B019YXYO0K/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Has anyone had experience with it, some reviews say it grows their plants great, others, not so much. I'm not looking for high-light plants, but I do want to grow a carpet of some sort plus some taller plants and not dose CO2.

#2 ·
There's someone on here much more qualified to answer the light question.
I would label it adequate but without much conviction behind my guess.
The carpet without CO2 idea...well I believe the Marsilea group may work in a non
injected tank. Marsilea quadrifolia being one example of that group.

#3 ·
Well, carpet may not be the best word. I'm okay with moss or or pretty much anything as long as the substrate is covered with stuff that won't grow the height of the tank. Then I do want some tall growths as well, just not all over. Thanks, I'll keep watching for someone who's used this light!

#5 ·
The red/blue ratio for growing plants is off, but after working with other Beamswork fixtures, I would not hesitate to try this one myself. Plants that I feel you could get away with without problems for a foreground might be chain sword or dwarf sag if you don't mind the leaves growing a bit taller and provided you have some sort of nutrient rich substrate. Another plant that I personally use as a 'carpet' plant with low-light LEDs in a deep tank is stargrass, but I'm a SA scape person. I also think the colour rendition will look great and bring out colours nicely in your fish.

I couldn't find any youtube vids of this particular light. Can links be provided?

#6 ·
I have some flourite to put in my substrate that is also gravel, I don't plan to inject CO2, I just can't afford it, but I'll probably dose excel I think it's called?

I'm not sure what an SA Scape is that an "overgrown" scape? Regardless, I think stargrass is beautiful. :)

Other than the ability to grown plants, I thought the colors on this would make my fish look fantastic, people keep talking about how it gives the water a rippling effect and I'm excited to try it out. I just wanted to make sure that it would actually grow plants.

Thanks for the feedback!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.