Finnex Planted+ thoughts on open top or canopy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Finnex Planted+ thoughts on open top or canopy

I'm loving the Finnex Planted+ and my plants are SUPER healthy... But I'm not so crazy about the way it looks on top of my tank. What do you guys think about "open top" tanks?

My 29g high tech aquarium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 01:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

All 5 of my tanks are open top. I think it's just easier to have an open top and there's one less thing to keep clean.

Just a noob
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 01:25 AM
Planted Member

Finnex Warranty RequestsOpen top is great. I agree with one less thing to clean. However, open top will allow moisture to wick into your light fixture and void the warranty if the light goes down. This is especially true if you run airstones or the filter output to ripple the surface. A tiny micro bubble is harmless when it pops, but 25 billion of them popping over time will eventually take its' toll. If you are past the warranty period then the above link is irrelevant but you will still face a replacement in the future sometime. Water makes mountains into boulders, boulders into rocks, rocks into pebbles, pebbles into sand, etc. It will also mank up the surface mount components on your light fixture. A few other things about the canopy, it helps with temperature control, keeps evaporation down, keeps jumpers in the tank, and probably helps with the control of airborne nuisances. Just my 2 bits worth, since 2 cents is worthless nowadays.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i personally prefer the open tank look on tall or bigger tanks EX, my 75 gallon tank rim sits 56.5" off the ground so i don't see the light reflecting into my eyes or guests eyes as they walk by. also my planted plus has been running strong on a open top with the water a little to low(splashing water on cover) for almost 8 months with no problem just wipe the cover dry every so often to keep water marks off of it.

75g journey , Eheim 460L , 33g retired
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 06:04 PM
Algae Grower

I tried open and closed top. I like open top because (like previously said) it is one less thing to clean. Although, the water in my tank has evaporated much quicker as a result. So what I have been doing is a closed top, but leaving 2 inches of the tank open.

In terms of the light, some moisture might get inside to the light. That's why I decided to go with the waterproof Zetlight strip lights

Starting a 20gal planted tank. Looking to expand.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just my dimes worth but I think having a glass canopy over the water has too many benefits to ignore even though it's something that requires cleaning here and there...

-> Reduces evaporation and the need to top off with RO/distilled or other water.
-> Prevents losing any potential jumpers.
-> Protects expensive lighting components.

Besides, <rhetorical> are you really too lazy to clean some glass once a week? <snicker>

Btw Admin, 'Algae Grower' under my handle!?!?! I represent that (In my best Norm Crosby)

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
Tank Journal

Last edited by AbbeysDad; 05-03-2016 at 04:49 PM. Reason: post script

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode