3 low cost LED light review - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Lonestarbandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,039
3 low cost LED light review

Guys,


I am clueless with all aspects of LED with regard to planted Tankdom. I currently have just standard old hooded 1 fluorescent tube old aqueon style lights not intended for plant growth.
I do have so called plant bulbs in them but I am certain that effect is limited.
I DO have a decent dual t5 I think slimline freshwater coralife fixture with 2 bulbs in it on a small "plant growth" nursery as it were.
So. Main question. Will THIS:
Beamswork 48" DA 120 6500K LED Aquarium Light Pent Freshwater Plant Discus 120x 0.50W
Amazon.com : Beamswork 48" DA 120 6500K LED Aquarium Light Pent Freshwater Plant Discus 120x 0.50W : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Beamswork 48" DA 120 6500K LED Aquarium Light Pent Freshwater Plant Discus 120x 0.50W : Pet Supplies


Be sufficient for a LIGHTLY planted low tech 55g? I am not looking to go high tech or drop a lot of coin.
I am not doing dosing or using ferts as I have shrimp in this community tank.
I am just hoping this would be superior to that ancient one fluorescent tube lights from the 80s.

I also saw these:
Amazon.com : Beamswork EA Timer FSPEC LED Aquarium Light Freshwwater Plant Extendable (120cm - 48") : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Beamswork EA Timer FSPEC LED Aquarium Light Freshwwater Plant Extendable (120cm - 48") : Pet Supplies

But surely these are too underpowered to do any good?
Again I am but a confused old man with this LED stuff and you all are the oracles of wisdom with Planted Tanks.

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas”
David Crockett

Last edited by Lonestarbandit; 04-24-2016 at 05:33 AM. Reason: (sp)
Lonestarbandit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 6,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestarbandit View Post
Guys,


I am clueless with all aspects of LED with regard to planted Tankdom. I currently have just standard old hooded 1 fluorescent tube old aqueon style lights not intended for plant growth.
I do have so called plant bulbs in them but I am certain that effect is limited.
I DO have a decent dual t5 I think slimline freshwater coralife fixture with 2 bulbs in it on a small "plant growth" nursery as it were.
So. Main question. Will THIS:
Beamswork 48" DA 120 6500K LED Aquarium Light Pent Freshwater Plant Discus 120x 0.50W
Amazon.com : Beamswork 48" DA 120 6500K LED Aquarium Light Pent Freshwater Plant Discus 120x 0.50W : Pet Supplies


Be sufficient for a LIGHTLY planted low tech 55g? I am not looking to go high tech or drop a lot of coin.
I am not doing dosing or using ferts as I have shrimp in this community tank.
I am just hoping this would be superior to that ancient one fluorescent tube lights from the 80s.

I also saw these: Amazon.com : Beamswork EA Timer FSPEC LED Aquarium Light Freshwwater Plant Extendable (120cm - 48") : Pet Supplies

But surely these are too underpowered to do any good?
Again I am but a confused old man with this LED stuff and you all are the oracles of wisdom with Planted Tanks.
So I take it your not up to "wizz bang" full bells and whistles LED like the Current plus pro?

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
jeffkrol is offline  
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Lonestarbandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
So I take it your not up to "wizz bang" full bells and whistles LED like the Current plus pro?
Would it help if I said I have no idea what that even was and it sounded like a battery charger?
Looked that up and found they want 240 or so for it.
Yes that looks very nice but again lightly planted tank and that's way out of my survivability factor.
That is to say the odds that my wife won't kill me for spending more money on my tanks.
Chibils, LensHiker and BuffDaddy like this.

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas”
David Crockett

Last edited by Lonestarbandit; 04-07-2016 at 08:50 PM. Reason: (sp)
Lonestarbandit is offline  
 
post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 6,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestarbandit View Post
Would it help if I said I have no idea what that even was and it sounded like a battery charger?
Looked that up and found they want 240 or so for it.
Yes that looks very nice but again lightly planted tank and that's way out of my survivability factor.
That is to say the odds that my wife won't kill me for spending more money on my tanks.
Ok so lets go "old school" a bit.. The 2 beamsworks you posted have a lumen output of 5200
The "colorful" one is 2500 lumens..
a t5 can be 2700 to up to 5700 lumens but not quite equivalent due to a few factors such as geometry, spectrum and reflectors..

Soo the 5700 lumen led is close to a 2 tube t5 in effective delivery..

The colored one.. not even close...

Consider 1/2 to 1W/gallon for leds for moderately good light.. but don't really abide by it.. It is a really crude ballpark figure..
Lonestarbandit likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
jeffkrol is offline  
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Lonestarbandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
Ok so lets go "old school" a bit.. The 2 beamsworks you posted have a lumen output of 5200
The "colorful" one is 2500 lumens..
a t5 can be 2700 to up to 5700 lumens but not quite equivalent due to a few factors such as geometry, spectrum and reflectors..

Soo the 5700 lumen led is close to a 2 tube t5 in effective delivery..

The colored one.. not even close...

Consider 1/2 to 1W/gallon for leds for moderately good light.. but don't really abide by it.. It is a really crude ballpark figure..
I figured that weak colored one was pointless.
And at least I have a idea now to compare it to thanks!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas”
David Crockett
Lonestarbandit is offline  
post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 6,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestarbandit View Post
I figured that weak colored one was pointless.
And at least I have a idea now to compare it to thanks!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Well, it isn't pointless if you get 2... The colored LED's add a lot of "pop"....

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
jeffkrol is offline  
post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 12:03 AM
Planted Member
 
SNAXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 167
I have the one you listed first. My tank is tall, 22" which makes it harder to get light to the bottom. The light is doing a great job. No CO2, no pro fert regimen. I use root tabs and Flourish. Here's a pic. The only thing I'm not too fond of is the color. It just drowns everything in whitish/yellow light. The plants love it though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1460070142408.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	616650  

SNAXX is offline  
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 12:15 AM
Planted Member
 
SNAXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 167
If you use a glass top you could drop down to the 36" to save some money.
SNAXX is offline  
post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Lonestarbandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,039
True but with the hoods I have there is no room for 2 deep.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAXX View Post
If you use a glass top you could drop down to the 36" to save some money.


But buying the glass top and the light wouldn't save me any money

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAXX View Post
I have the one you listed first. My tank is tall, 22" which makes it harder to get light to the bottom. The light is doing a great job. No CO2, no pro fert regimen. I use root tabs and Flourish. Here's a pic. The only thing I'm not too fond of is the color. It just drowns everything in whitish/yellow light. The plants love it though.
Very nice. I see the tint you are talking about but my ancient florescent are just as bad. If the plants like it that is the main thing.
And surely as a side effect it uses less juice?

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas”
David Crockett

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-08-2016 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
Lonestarbandit is offline  
post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 03:13 AM
Planted Member
 
SNAXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 167
That plan required you to have the glass tops already in use. No savings for you!


120 x .5 w ...... 60 w. It's going to be very hard to find an effective light that uses less juice than your Coralife light. The Beamswork does a good job at a few more watts.
SNAXX is offline  
post #11 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Lonestarbandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAXX View Post
That plan required you to have the glass tops already in use. No savings for you!


120 x .5 w ...... 60 w. It's going to be very hard to find an effective light that uses less juice than your Coralife light. The Beamswork does a good job at a few more watts.
No no the coralife is on a small 25 tall? (think that's the size) all 3 55g have those ancient 80s hoods 1 bulb each side t5 I think it is.
So compared to those old school ancient lights that Beamworks should be quite an upgrade for the plants.
And isn't that always the case, no savings for me.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas”
David Crockett
Lonestarbandit is offline  
post #12 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 04:01 AM
Planted Member
 
Joshism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 271
My 6500K Beamswork 72" 13100 lumen has been timed to turn on for 10 hours a day every day. Been growing dwarf hair grass and it is bright. I've had it for 2 years now. Great bang for the buck. I highly recommend it.



Lonestarbandit likes this.
Joshism is offline  
post #13 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 04:15 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 39
That DA 120 has 104 x 6500k (daylight) LEDs and 16 x actinic (very blue) 16000k? LEDs. The pictures aren't accurate. I looked at buying the same light from that seller and didn't because of the blue lighting tint it would have overall.
theone29 likes this.
Boreas is offline  
post #14 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 06:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 6,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestarbandit View Post
No no the coralife is on a small 25 tall? (think that's the size) all 3 55g have those ancient 80s hoods 1 bulb each side t5 I think it is.
So compared to those old school ancient lights that Beamworks should be quite an upgrade for the plants.
And isn't that always the case, no savings for me.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
I'm in the process of setting up a 55gal and needed an interim light.
Cheap-ish LED shop light.3300 lumens and 4200k.
Quite neutral overall.
Should be around 30-40
PAR at the substrate..just
resting on top of the tank. Doesn't get hotter than about 110F at the ps end..
$35
http://www.menards.com/main/maintena...31025078522679
Lonestarbandit likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Last edited by jeffkrol; 04-08-2016 at 06:53 AM. Reason: edit
jeffkrol is offline  
post #15 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
Lonestarbandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,039
Not bad except all my tanks are in the living room and aesthetically well...... the wife would have a fit with the shop light. Functionally and value for dollar that would be a treat!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
That DA 120 has 104 x 6500k (daylight) LEDs and 16 x actinic (very blue) 16000k? LEDs. The pictures aren't accurate. I looked at buying the same light from that seller and didn't because of the blue lighting tint it would have overall.


Are there two models now? I seem to see one version for freshwater uses all white LED?

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas”
David Crockett
Lonestarbandit is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome