Marineland Aquatic Plant LED - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rakaal
  • 1 Post By steveo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Marineland Aquatic Plant LED

Forgive me if this is a dead horse subject, but I am having trouble.

I have recently set up my Marineland 60 gal cube (24x24x24). I have one Marineland Aquatic Plant LED. This is my first high tech tank. It has pressurized CO2 and is fertilized using EI. ( Full disclosure it is 4 days old).

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	611153

Obviously, one is not enough as the shadowing is apparent. I cannot seem to find a relevant thread of anyone using this light for a high tech tank (which may be telling in of itself). Nonetheless, I have one. I am trying to successfully grow HC atm.

After setting this up and seeing the light disparity, I began doing research and found that I really liked the aquaticlife Halo deluxe with a Halo basic for my 24x24x24. The two lights plus the attachment arms are not cheap. I explained this horrible situation to my wife. I did my best to sell it but alas I was shut down, while giving me the look of....ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR ......MIND.

So, Here I am in a quandary. My options as I see it are 1) buy a second Marineland Aquatic Plant LED to maintain the aesthetic look with the same light and keep the timers and moonlight, or 2) scrap the current Marineland and go with a Finnex Ray2 and a Finnex Monster ray combo losing the timer and moonlight.

The cost for either option is almost identical as Marineland is very proud of their product.

I know the Finnex combo has had success based on other posts but has anyone had any luck using the Marineland?
Twistyy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 03:14 PM
Algae Grower

Yes- you will need two. I really like my Marineland aquatic plant lights on my 56 gallon column. I use two of them due to the 18 inch front to back. It also has a depth of 24 inches. My Flourite is between 2.5-4 inches from front to back. I am using a 'high tech' approach and inject C02. I fertilize daily using the PPS Pro system. Plants are doing great (check my amazon album under profile). The lights provide a PAR rating in the 80's. Don't be quick to get rid of he Marineland light. They are high quality and I really like the timer features too.

Personally, I'm not keen on the Aquaticlife Halo plants. By their design, I believe they would cast way too much light into the room.
Twistyy likes this.

Last edited by steveo; 03-28-2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: update
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I went ahead with the second Marineland Aquatic Plant LED. All of my plants seem to be doing well, with the exception of the "pearl grass", Fissidens nobilis, and African water fern...I just havent seen any "new" growth. I'm not seeing any melting either so it may just need some time.

My HC seems to have taken off, even at 20 plus inches below the lights. Its only been about two weeks but there has been obvious growth. I have not noticed an algae bloom as of yet...I'm still waiting for that challenge.

The lights are on for 6 hours per day. So far I'm pretty pleased. I do have the "white fuzz" on my driftwood. From what I've read, I'm hoping it will go away in time.

Feedback, positive and negative is welcomed.

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	614073

The only dumb question is probably the one I just asked.....so you're good.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 09:02 AM
Algae Grower

I don't believe there is any need for negative feed back, keep on with the steady frets and co2 it will pay off. I really like this tank, just be patient and it will all pay off
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 01:49 PM
Algae Grower

FWIW- see additional comments I made under the Planted +24/7 thread. With your lights, using dry fertilizers with the PPS pro system, along with 8 hour light cycles will be greatly beneficial. From the photo of your tank, it looks like your CO2 drop checker is near the bottom of you tank. For accurate readings it should be near the top. Your set up looks really good!

Last edited by steveo; 04-04-2016 at 02:41 AM. Reason: update
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the comments, it is appreciated. The dual Marineland Lights seem to be doing the trick as far as the plants that I have planted. I am very pleased so far with the performance of the lights. I still have some challenges as the tank is still fairly new and is still "cycling" and in the process of doing whatever it is it is doing.

I have a double bright on a "low tech" tank that is my daughter's tank. The aquatic plant light is in a class far above the double bright. I am still pretty new to this hobby but I can say without fear of reprisal that the Marineland Aquatic Plant LED can hold its own, at least with the plants that I am currently trying to grow. Which include (HC) that is about 20 inches from the light.

The only dumb question is probably the one I just asked.....so you're good.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 04:42 AM
Algae Grower

I can say that the Marineland is an excellent light. A lot of people don't like it because they are pricey compared to a lot of other brands. The PAR rating of the Marineland Aquatic Plant light is really quite high. I have one 24" on a 37 gallon tank and can grow just about anything. Your drop checker is fine where it is. If you are using a diffuser and have the checker too high you can get false readings from bubbles (seen or unseen) entering the checker. I also have it on the bottom, but in the opposite corner from my diffuser. One word of caution with the light. The "night" feature with just the blue lights will grow algae if left on for too long. I learned this the hard way. It is mentioned on the Marineland website. This is because the red spectrum is in the blue leds. I use it 15 min before and 15 min after the light comes on. For me, the best results are when the light is on for 6 to 7 hours. I currently run it 6 hours. Any longer and algae city. Your tank looks great, best of luck with it.

E-Series Club

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode