Is a Kessil overkill? - The Planted Tank Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is a Kessil overkill?

I'm setting up a 125 soon and it's 72x20x24. I was thinking about doing 3 Kessil A150 Amazon Sun. That would put coverage for each light at 24x20x24, which it sounds like they can do.

Is this stupidly overpowered for a 24" deep tank? Am I wafting my money? What are some other options? I'd strongly prefer pendants over a 72" strip of lights like a Finnex or something. Are there any other LED pendants worth looking at?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 12:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Take a look at aquatic life Halos. I have 2 over my 48g and love them. Better color than the kessils.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Mikeygmzmg likes this.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Algae Grower

Maybe take a look at the AquaticLife Halo lights?

I went through this whole debate a couple months ago but did end up getting BML strips. The Kessil was really nice and I ended up buying one to test and then returned it. Like others have complained, the lack of red in the spectrum was not hte look I was looking for.

I almost bit the bullet and went Halo after this thread on here but ultimately decided to go BML. I would definitely take a look at the Halo lights though if you are looking for a pendant. They are also 20% off for a couple more days.

edit: bsantucci beat me to it. It was his tank I saw that almost made me go Halo. Looks really nice.
HBdirtbag likes this.
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi, just to mention that BML do not produce aquarium lights anymore.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by duderino View Post
Maybe take a look at the AquaticLife Halo lights?

I went through this whole debate a couple months ago but did end up getting BML strips. The Kessil was really nice and I ended up buying one to test and then returned it. Like others have complained, the lack of red in the spectrum was not hte look I was looking for.

I almost bit the bullet and went Halo after this thread on here but ultimately decided to go BML. I would definitely take a look at the Halo lights though if you are looking for a pendant. They are also 20% off for a couple more days.

edit: bsantucci beat me to it. It was his tank I saw that almost made me go Halo. Looks really nice.
Hah yep. I should be made their spokesman for this forum!

I really do love these lights though. Plants are growing great, especially since I dumped the eco complete substrate for florinvolcanit, but that's another story.

The Halos for sure have a great red spectrum. The coloring you can get is great. Plus the master light has the controller built in, you don't need to buy another controller like Kessil. So for your tank, you'd need 1 master and 2 slaves if you want to go with 3.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

$900 for 6' of light is more than I was hoping for. I know Kessils are a few bucks more than that (would be about $1000) but at least you can sometimes find those used.

Are there any other decent pendants? I'm considering the Halos now, but I'm not sure about the color temp. I really like a daylight/crisp white kinda color and that looks kinda yellow from the picture.

post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 08:44 PM
LRJ
Planted Tank Obsessed

You could also look at the Radion xr15fw. Very nice light, but you'll still be looking at around $1000 for three of them.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 08:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibils View Post
$900 for 6' of light is more than I was hoping for. I know Kessils are a few bucks more than that (would be about $1000) but at least you can sometimes find those used.

Are there any other decent pendants? I'm considering the Halos now, but I'm not sure about the color temp. I really like a daylight/crisp white kinda color and that looks kinda yellow from the picture.

You can change the spectrum with the controller on the Halos. Give me a bit when I get home from work and I'll post it swung to the whiter spectrum for you. I have mine a tick towards warmer as that's my preference.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool! Thanks @bsantucci.

Is there a decent 72" strip light that's decent? They seem to be much cheaper (and less bright/well-made, but I can live with that).

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 09:19 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
Take a look at aquatic life Halos. I have 2 over my 48g and love them. Better color than the kessils.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hey sorry to side track but you think one will be fine for a ADA 60p 17 gallon? I cant afford two lol

If it aint broke dont fix it.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 09:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by payluder View Post
Hey sorry to side track but you think one will be fine for a ADA 60p 17 gallon? I cant afford two lol
What's the length? I'd say so though. I almost covered my tank with a single light and I am 36" long. I just had some dark spots in the corner so I picked up a second light.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
What's the length? I'd say so though. I almost covered my tank with a single light and I am 36" long. I just had some dark spots in the corner so I picked up a second light.
the 60p is 23.6 inch width and 14.2 height and 11.8 inch depth 15.9 gallons specs taken from ADA site

thank you

post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by payluder View Post
the 60p is 23.6 inch width and 14.2 height and 11.8 inch depth 15.9 gallons specs taken from ADA site

thank you
Yep, single light will cover that tank for sure.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 09:54 PM
Planted Member

thank you and good luck op

BTW the lights on sale for $279 sale ends March 5

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 11:23 PM
Planted Member

I made the Kessil run in less than 12 parsecs.

Sorry. I'll see myself out...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode