The Planted Tank Forum banner

37 Gallon Column Lighting (Planted)

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jeffkrol 
#1 ·
Hey there,

I'm trying to figure out the best light fixture for a new planted tank I am putting together.

Tank dimensions: 20"W x 18"L x 24"H

I'm not looking for a hood/canopy. Something sleek. I really don't want to spend too much money. Around $200 would be ideal.

Any recommendations or advice?

To get a visual of the dimensions, heres a link
http://angelfins.ca/images/pf_37gal_column.jpg

#2 ·
LED? T5HO? Compact fluorescent?

High tech? Low tech?

Seems like the Current Satellite Pro+ or Finnex 24/7 might be something to look at if low tech as the tank is so deep.

Look into reef nano pendants. Here is how the shopping for my 15x12x12" almost a cube with 12" tall emersed plantings went.

I chose MicMol Mini Color and run it at 50% about 24" off the bottom of my low tech nano. The programming is limited to 4 set points but it holds programming on a timer. This brand is going all out for style points but it is well made and worked perfectly first time - I am not a fast learner. This light was also cheaper than my other finds at $130. The Finnex and Current couldn't work as my tank is too short for them.

There is a larger one that FlyingHellFish has over his tank. He also had it customized for fresh water. MicMol also makes a panel with 2 channels, white+colors and blue, that they are marketing as suitable for fresh water. I think it would work well, equal amounts of my white and 'special' makes for a nice color then I add in a bit of blue. The large diodes in the Mini cause colored shadows which I like a lot as my nano has emersed plantings and shadows add to the drama but the AquaAir has smaller diodes I believe.

Other units in consideration were the Aqua Illumination Prime, DSuny 16", ReefBreeder Nano 7x2" circle. The Prime and RB are not plant specific but DSunY does have a planted tank spectrum ready made. The original RB units can be customized for a small fee, no idea if the Nano-Lite can or not. Doubt that AI will do this for you but if you like the unit you might ask. And research coverage carefully. Planted tanks don't need as much light as reefs but light spill can be a nuisance for some situations.

#3 ·
Hey there,

I'm trying to figure out the best light fixture for a new planted tank I am putting together.

Tank dimensions: 20"W x 18"L x 24"H

I'm not looking for a hood/canopy. Something sleek. I really don't want to spend too much money. Around $200 would be ideal.

Any recommendations or advice?

To get a visual of the dimensions, heres a link
http://angelfins.ca/images/pf_37gal_column.jpg
high side and would need planted or custom spectrum:
https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-16/

Low light budget lighting:
LED Aquarium Lighting Freshwater Bright

LED Aquarium Lighting by BeamsWork

Middle of the road but full control:
Ecoxotic E-Series Full Spectrum LED Light Fixture: LED Aquarium Lighting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.